Poem Tryouts: Before, During, or After the Storm

16 Jul

9:35 a.m. — Walnut Creek

Hello, everyone. I am sitting here freezing my tootsies and refusing my mother’s offer of turning on
the heat for a bit. It’s JULY. In CALIFORNIA.

I added another layer of clothing. naturehdwallpaper.com 73128

Today is all about images. You can choose one
and respond to it specifically; you can mash
a couple of them together; you can look at them generally, but come up 300px-High_Park_Wildfire_Arapaho_and_Roosevelt_National_Forests_June_10,_2012with your own

storm poem based on something you read, saw, or had happen; you can forage for your own image and use it as a spark.

You may, or may not, have noticed that I have chosen my storm images to match the four elements: air, water, earth, fire. I know, a bit of a stretch, but it tickled me when I noticed the purely serendipitous actuality. weather.com haboob_2

This did lead to my excluding a number of storms, so keep in mind hail, tornadoes, snow, and storms that occur in teacups.ocean_storms_01_hd_picture_166248

I shall see you next Tuesday for, let me see… ooh, free choice, almost. She grinned.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 16/07/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

34 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Before, During, or After the Storm

16/07/2013 at 1:48 pm

….a storm of tourists…? Or emotional turbulance?

16/07/2013 at 1:55 pm

Sure… but include a photo :-)

• julespaige

16/07/2013 at 2:21 pm

Yeah, sure. Like I’ve ever done that before?
        I am thus far still inept at photo entry.

16/07/2013 at 2:23 pm

I promise you, WordPress has made it sooo easy. Really.

2. pmwanken

16/07/2013 at 3:18 pm

Oh…serendipitous actuality…I snagged an image a couple days ago from “I Require Art” on Facebook (with their permission)…of…wait for it…a STORM. :D

3. Carol Carlisle

16/07/2013 at 4:18 pm

The SF Chronicle weather report for most of July is: “fog night and morning clearing by noon” It’s 1:10 and still no blue above. I feel like I should apologize on behalf of the Bay Area or send you an extra blanket ;)

16/07/2013 at 6:23 pm

Yes, but this is Walnut Creek! Now I’ll confess that I love the cool weather, marine layer and all, but my toes were still cold ;-)

16/07/2013 at 4:29 pm

Margo, this is a test as I’m unable to post comments on WordPress blogs lately. They go into spam folders, so if this goes there, please approve it, and then all will be okay. I’ll write to your prompt tomorrow.

5. val dering rojas

16/07/2013 at 6:04 pm

“….and storms that occur in teacups.” Ha ha.

I never have a poem as quickly as everyone else, and usually don’t share, but wow! I’m impressed with you all.

Another great prompt, Margo!

16/07/2013 at 6:27 pm

I had noticed, Val… the not sharing part ;-). Don’t worry about it. Above all this is a place to give you what you want.

By the way, and I think you and I have bemoaned our condition before, I can never write a poem quickly and live in awe of all those who can. I have found that the wordles help me tremendously but still require two days to produce a poem for one of Brenda’s.

• val dering rojas

16/07/2013 at 7:23 pm

Yeah I’m pretty much the same way. For me I think I have to roll it around in my head for awhile first before I even get to the paper (or computer stage) and then that stage can either be somewhat swift (depending upon, among other things, time or dedication)or they can be excruciating! Ha ha!

6. purplepeninportland

16/07/2013 at 11:53 pm

I love this prompt. Found an interesting image to write about.

7. rosross

17/07/2013 at 6:03 am

Images just seem to breathe words back at you.

18/07/2013 at 1:02 pm

Ros, I have found that your sentiment seems to hold particularly true with this group of writers. They love writing to images. I love picking them.

8. markwindham

19/07/2013 at 12:18 pm

whatdoyouknow…I managed to write something. Now, back to what I am supposed to be doing…

19/07/2013 at 3:21 pm

Good Heavens! It’s you. How lovely. I’ve been wondering.

9. Ruth

19/07/2013 at 1:30 pm

hmm… how about before, during, AND after the storm?

19/07/2013 at 3:06 pm

Anything that makes you happy and produces a poem.

10. barbara_

23/07/2013 at 11:34 am

Early for one week, late for another

11. purple

23/07/2013 at 5:28 pm

I just discovered your blog, and wrote a poem inspired by your prompt here. At the moment I cannot provide a link but if you read my About Me, perhaps you will understand and forgive me this once. I look forward to following your blog and new challenges and inspiration. Thanks for what you do.

12. purple

23/07/2013 at 5:31 pm

ummm PS someone just helped me, here is the link. http://purplesplatitudes.wordpress.com/2013/07/23/storms/

30/07/2013 at 2:48 pm

Welcome. I am in summer mode, so not quite as quick to respond as the rest of the year, but am happy to meet you and thrilled that you have written a poem. Congratulations on learning to link. After that, it’s a piece of cake [okay, maybe not quite, but wordpress makes it as easy as it can].

I look forward to seeing you here again and will be over shortly to read the poem.