Poetry Freeforall: On the Menu

07 Jun

listening to At the Zoo sung by Simon & Garfunkel

Hullo, all. Thank you for your good wishes for my vacation. Nine days ’til we take off. We already have a reservation at a lovely, little restaurant in Lafayette, Louisiana, where we’ll stop overnight on our way to San Antonio. I learned from my parents to map travel routes by restaurants. Let’s get into our own food for the soul.

tow-truck1Donna’s parking place.

At Naming Constellations Joseph Harker refines his own poem, a circumstance that must have felt a little weird, at times. However, if we can learn to look at and refine our own work like he can, even to a degree, we would learn so much about our own writing. He includes a prompt to do with sound. Give it a go, even if you, like I, run for the hills when words like dactylic are thrown around (actually I was taught all the meters as a child, but don’t have an ear for it when writing).

adele kennyAt The Music In It: Adele Kenny’s Poetry Blog, Adele asks what is our favourite childhood book. Well! I stopped for several minutes to ruminate and reminisce. What fun! My mother kept every single one of my childhood books and sent several boxes to me, a few years ago. I love seeing them on the bookshelves. Go on over to see what she suggests we write about.

At The Sunday Whirl, Brenda has a lovely selection of words. I even wrote a poem. No, I didn’t quite get to posting it. If you haven’t wordled yet, what are you waiting for? Brenda will have the new words up on Sunday. Visit to see the wordle and to read what others have done.

Over at Carry On Tuesday,  Keith has given us a line from The Sound of Music. It encourages a list poem. Head over.

Whoa! I found myself, a moment ago, with notebook in hand, writing a first line. It must be summer. We’re at Mad Kane’s Humor Blog for Limerick-off Mondays. Madeleine always writes a limerick, as an example. Look around while you are there. I visit because I know I will laugh and laughing is good, so visit to read, to laugh, perhaps to write.

Visit The Mag [Magpie Tales] for our first image prompt. This week we have a painting, Waking, Walking, Singing, in the Next Dimension? by Morris Graves. I found myself wanting to stop and write immediately. Many possibilities with this one. Remember that you do not have to address the whole image, or its subject. What was the first thought through your mind when you saw the image? Grab it. Write.

Laurie Kolp, at Poetry Jam, talks about vacations, and she has added a twist. Go on over and see what she says and to see her photographs.

This week on Carol’s Light Words she has given us some gorgeous photos of flowers and asks a great question, What is the scent of summer?. Don’t forget that Carol chooses a song each Friday to get us dancing around — remember that she is on California time. A different kind of poetry and a whole lot of fun.

At imaginary garden with real toads, I can’t choose. I want you to check out both Hardcore Americana and Kerry’s Challenge, so get over there. Investigate. I promise, you have never heard Amazing Grace sung like this. Go play with the toads.

We Write Poems is on the seventh of ten poems asking us to focus on a protagonist. This week, your protagonist is  metamorphosing. Head over to read the context and suggestions.

At dVerse, Charles Miller says, Take out the scissors!  He focuses on the cut-up as a form. Visit. Look around. Stay awhile; it’s a friendly place. For those who haven’t seen the cut-up machine, can you say: cyber-scissors, baby!

Flash fiction fans: I’m going to give you the link to the general site of Flashy Fiction, rather than always giving you Friday, as you might come to the site on a different day, thus be offered a different image. Pot luck.

If you have questions, ask. If you write in response to any of these, the people whose blogs you visit would love to read your responses. Post!

I shall see you Tuesday, for a profile poem and Friday for the round-up of prompts.

Happy writing, everyone. (Why do you suppose all my links are grey instead of their usual bright red? Sigh… yeh, I’ll go up and add a text colour. I just want to know why!)

Posted by on 07/06/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “Poetry Freeforall: On the Menu

1. barbara_

07/06/2013 at 11:04 am

Odd. The Universe hit the wrong toggle? If you open a new post and make links do those show up gray, too?

• barbara_

07/06/2013 at 11:05 am

And has your background always been mint green?

07/06/2013 at 11:15 am

Why, no, since you ask. What do you think, too minty? I paid for the upgrade not to get ads inserted willy-nilly on my site and just discovered the I can have any colour I want option. Let me tell you, I spent quite a lot of time yesterday trying on colours!

I tried a new post. Still grey. I guess It could be connected to the colour change but it seems such a random thing to be affected. I might retreat into one of my unknown blogs and test that.

• barbara_

07/06/2013 at 11:59 am

Lovely color. I’m into mint.

07/06/2013 at 3:00 pm

I am fascinated with how large and open the colour makes the page feel. I’ll go plum, or something like, for winter

• Hannah Gosselin

08/06/2013 at 11:33 am

I like it..paired with the deep brown, makes me hungry for mint chocolate…mm maybe ice cream…

I was getting the itch to switch up my look but in the beginning of spring I put in some summery images and now they finally fit the season so I guess I should leave em.

Smiles to everyone and thank you for the post, Margo!

08/06/2013 at 11:38 am

mmm… we just happen to have a box of After Eight mints that some student gave to Skip for end of term. I’ll eat one for you :-)

Hannah, to satisfy my decorating itch, I have three hidden blogs to play with :-D.

• Hannah Gosselin

08/06/2013 at 11:39 am

Laughing here on both statements, Margo!! I’m so glad I stopped in…such good medicine. :)

2. Carol Carlisle

07/06/2013 at 11:25 am

I like the green a lot!!! It suits you.I re-decorated my blog this week too. Is it in the air, do we pull out our summer clothes and put on new outfits?

07/06/2013 at 3:00 pm

Carol, I still have to keep sleeved things to hand. Very little lead-up to summer here!

3. RJ Clarken

07/06/2013 at 2:06 pm

Thanks! Lots of nice links. The mint reminds me of one of the two big prom colors from the 1970s. (The other one was ice blue.) :D

07/06/2013 at 3:02 pm

My eye shadow colours! 11th and 12th grade. I was known for them! People could recognise me at 100 feet.

4. Laurie Kolp

16/06/2013 at 8:28 am

Hey, Margo. Thanks for mentioning Poetry Jam.