Poem Tryouts: Try an Escher

28 May

listening to The Only Living Boy in New York by Simon and Garfunkel

escher storiesHullo, everyone. Last Tuesday of the month is image day, when I remember, and today we are working with some of M. C. Escher’s prints. I chose a few that escher unravelingspark an interest in my mind, in hopes that we share similar ‘ooh’ factors.

Remember: the resulting poem does not have to have any apparent connection to the art that inspires it. The art is there for inspiration unless you deliberately write about the piece.

With some, such as the black and white above, you might want to tell escher koithe story of what appears to be going on in the piece, completely ignoring the Escher surreality. You may want to focus on one, or two, of the figures and just tell their stories. Or, you might decide to include the Escher factor metaphorically when telling the story. escher65

The piece up and to the right might start a piece on unraveling, either a story coming apart, or a person coming apart. Maybe it’s an unwinding, rather than an unraveling. Of course, it can also inspire you to write about peeling fruit.

The pieces to the right and above left, speak to reflections, or reflecting, as well as perspective. Like the others they may pull to mind story. Trust where your mind takes you.

escher eyeThis last piece is for the sheer fun of sharing it. The first image of the eye that I came across was fuzzy, so I was peering quite closely to see what the image at the centre is when I realised it.

Clicking on any image should give you a clearer and bigger image to contemplate. I look forward to seeing what Escher brings forth.

I shall see you Thursday for links; Friday for the prompt roundup; and, next Tuesday for the beginning of the summer calendar.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 28/05/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

47 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Try an Escher

28/05/2013 at 9:37 am

Time to play ‘The Twilight Zone’ theme again…

You do know I just love it when a ‘plan’ comes together. I had actually started this piece almost 15 days ago. And through this that and the other thing…finally got around to (yes dear don’t faint) reworking, revisitng and tweaking it just moments before your prompt popped up. And it so fits the ‘Eyeball’ –

28/05/2013 at 11:34 am

Jules, I long ago decided we have a neural pathway that is permanently connected.

2. barbara_

28/05/2013 at 11:25 am

Oh, Margo. You’ve opened up a can of monkeys. http://wp.me/pdTja-4jy

28/05/2013 at 11:34 am

Not that I automatically think of you when writing a prompt like this…

3. vivinfrance

28/05/2013 at 11:25 am

Margo, thanks for these. I don’t particularly appreciate surreal, but some of these have given me ideas for haiga. Is it all right if I write on copies of the images?

28/05/2013 at 11:33 am

ViV, not only yes, but please!

4. Elizabeth

28/05/2013 at 1:23 pm

Love this Margo, Escher has long been a favorite. Thank you,

Elizabeth

28/05/2013 at 2:48 pm

If I had known that, Elizabeth i would have ventured him sooner.

5. markwindham

28/05/2013 at 2:45 pm

I do like these. Something of a productivity killer though. But I did finish everything I set out to this weekend! All school moduls and prep tests finished. Now just have to pass the final and complete the simulation. One month left.

Not happy with the ‘at’ in next to last line, but not sure how to fix yet either.

28/05/2013 at 2:50 pm

You know that’s my main aim when I do these, Mark :-) One month? Yes! I won’t jinx, but let me know when you KNOW you have passed and are done, done. I shall take a look at the pesky ‘at’.

28/05/2013 at 5:15 pm

Howdy!!! Sorry I missed you all last week…this was a fun one, Margo…thank you!! :)’s

29/05/2013 at 7:52 am

Well, hello there! Glad to see you. Things are a little too quiet without you, Hannah :-)

7. markwindham

28/05/2013 at 5:21 pm

found another little one lurking about…might be another…or two

29/05/2013 at 7:53 am

They do have that effect, Eschers. write away.

8. Carol Carlisle

28/05/2013 at 5:29 pm

I all came together like birds becoming fish. I was thinking of Escher when I wrote this poem yesterday http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/escher-and-poetry-origami-birds/

29/05/2013 at 7:54 am

Now that’s a cool simile, Carol!

9. purplepeninportland

28/05/2013 at 11:12 pm

These are amazing. Wish I could have enlarged it over and over on my site.
    I am at: http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/a-museum-in-progress/

29/05/2013 at 7:55 am

I know what you mean, Sara. I spent way too long looking at the Eschers while choosing them. I wanted so many more!

10. vivinfrance

29/05/2013 at 4:16 am

Here’s the first of mine. I guess you’ll hat it! http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/image/

29/05/2013 at 9:40 am

I had trouble with this. Forgive the mood. I can’t help myself. http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/the-fickle-tail-of-winds/

29/05/2013 at 10:06 am

I’m not writing any more. First I write myself into a depression, and then I scare the crap out of myself. http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/rebalanced/

29/05/2013 at 10:08 am

That’s what keeps the blood running, woman. You stop writing, you stop. So, keep scaring yourself, and depressing, and enthusing, and all else that keeps you up and running.

13. 1sojournal

30/05/2013 at 12:59 pm

I know I’m late but this prompt saved my butt, so here goes:

Elizabeth
    PS Will be gone but back later to read and comment.

30/05/2013 at 1:25 pm

Elizabeth, anything if it saves your butt and you know what I say about late.

• 1sojournal

30/05/2013 at 3:49 pm

Thanks Margo, whatever you feel about time, don’t be late for your vacation. Have a wonderful time and I will miss you.

Elizabeth

30/05/2013 at 4:04 pm

There’s still facebook! I can’t leave you cold turkey. I’d never make it through the summer. I’ll just be a little more elusive, Elizabeth.

14. Pamela

30/05/2013 at 1:52 pm

Margo, I love Escher,he is a favourite of mine. We have “Reptiles”. I am going to give this prompt a go either today or tomorrow. I am in the midst of two poems right now. “Marlene” is giving me a fit though.

I see you are going on vacation, can I come? Seriously, be safe and most of all have fun.

30/05/2013 at 4:00 pm

I love ‘Reptiles’, Pamela. I almost included it. You tell Marlene to behave. Her Auntie Margo won’t take her to the movies.

Of course! I think you asked me last summer, too. I kept waiting for you to turn up. If the internet behaves, I shall take you with me. You just gave me an idea for something to include with Tuesday’s prompts. You will have to wait and see! Maybe not all, but you’ll know.

15. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

08/06/2013 at 2:08 am

And this is number 3, a coy Koy on my 6 word Saturday post.

16. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

08/06/2013 at 2:09 am

or rather coi Koi

08/06/2013 at 9:49 am

ViV, I love that you are still playing with the Eschers.