Poem Tryouts: Shake It Out Poem

07 May

listening to Air Supply singing Goodbye

HELLO!!! I know, I know. I did the excited to be back on Thursday’s post, but you know Tuesdays are my favourite, so I am excited all over again to be back. I have something nice and easy for you, before I dunk you  in the deep-end.

The first part is an actual poetic technique; it isn’t well-known, but can work wonders on producing a poem. You may sit in your chair and do this, or you can stand up and follow the instructions. Really.

Tip your head down and roll it around to the right, back to centre, and around to the left. If that feels good, do it a couple more times. Come on. No one is watching. Or, if you are at work, all the better. Tell co-workers this produces raises.

Shake your hands and arms. I said SHAKE. Okay. Now your legs and feet. Finally, ALL OF YOU.

I want a FRENZY. SHAKE. Stop. Take a breath. Smile. Feel looser? More relaxed? So does your mind. Now we get down to it.

What poem did you not write in April? If something popped into your mind, spontaneously, that is your brain’s answer. Go with it.

Or, Is there a poem you thought of writing, but didn’t have time to, as you worked through the intensity of that crazy month?

Is there an idea you saw somewhere and thought ‘I want to try that’ but it was someone else’s prompt and you were already writing a poem to a prompt? I have thirty of those over at Joseph’s Recursions.

Is there a type of poem someone wrote and you thought you might want to give it a try?

Here’s your chance. Shake the poem loose, write it, post it and drop back by with the link, so we can read it.

I shall see you at Poetics Serendipity, Thursday for links and a bit of chat; Friday, at the Poetry Freeforall, for the week’s roundup of prompts; and, next Tuesday for a Poem Tryout nearer the deep end (can you say metaphor, ViV?!).

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 07/05/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

27 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Shake It Out Poem

1. barbara_

07/05/2013 at 8:42 am

You know what this made me think of?

• barbara_

07/05/2013 at 8:43 am

Oh. Didn’t realize it would do more than add the link. Sorry.

07/05/2013 at 9:04 am

This, being the exercise?

• barbara_

07/05/2013 at 9:22 am

Once upon a time, I was gramatical. Now I can’t even spell her.

07/05/2013 at 9:40 am

Sez you. My keyboard is in cahoots with age. I thought it strange enough that I have started typing one letter to the right of what I want, but now have begun to switch places. If I want to type ‘we’ I’ll hit ‘op’ — weird and irritating.

• barbara_

07/05/2013 at 11:19 am

do-it-by-itself cypher?
              I imagine the surrealist poets doing something interesting ( and not especially poetic ) with that.

• vivinfrance

07/05/2013 at 2:15 pm

This is happening to me, and I used to be a super-duper 120wpm no eraser needed typist!

07/05/2013 at 2:19 pm

Frustrating, isn’t it?! I spend more damn time going back over everything I type.

Y’all are trying to distract me aren’t you? Hoping, maybe that I won’t notice you’re not writing poems.

07/05/2013 at 8:56 am

Rough patch… Three people I’d like to shake… But can’t. I’ll live.

07/05/2013 at 9:03 am

Shake ‘em in a poem, Jules.

• julespaige

07/05/2013 at 9:13 am

And thanks to you…I did. Though I might just do a “Peter Pan” and pretend to shake them all silly!

07/05/2013 at 9:17 am

It’s a great visual, Jules :-D

3. vivinfrance

07/05/2013 at 2:17 pm

This is a poem that had been nagging me for quite a while to have a go. I didn’t write it specially for here, but it fits part of what you are asking. Also I am too exhausted to do all the shaking, but promise I’ll do it tomorrow!

07/05/2013 at 2:21 pm

Having just accused you and Barbara and Jules of slacking, i take back yours, ViV! On my way to read.

07/05/2013 at 7:56 pm

I hope to be back here tomorrow for this approach…shaking the poem write out of me …hehe “write”…and maybe I’ll be able to remember if there was a poem I meant to do…I wasn’t very strict with myself this year and so I don’t really harbor any unwritten poem remorse this time around. ;)

Happy Tuesday…so nice to see you here, Margo! :)

08/05/2013 at 9:02 am

Peppy… punning and all! Isn’t it lovely to not have poem remorse? You keep on not remorsing.
      :-)

5. Carol Carlisle

07/05/2013 at 9:27 pm

Not so much a poem but all last month I had been wanting to put up a rose post so here it is http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/the-spring-promenade/

08/05/2013 at 9:03 am

I can’t wait. My daughter loves roses, so I enjoy anything in that area.

6. barbara_

08/05/2013 at 12:35 am

Started to write a ghazal last month, and got three sher/couplets before I decided the refrain wasn’t working. So that’s what I decided to work on. This time I made it through four. Try again tomorrow.

08/05/2013 at 9:04 am

That’s okay. It took me close to twenty years to try my first ghazal (and then weeks of wrestling) and it was not bad, but it’s a form I love without reason and would like to write well.

08/05/2013 at 5:49 am