NaPoWriMo: Erasing 26

26 Apr

Posting later than usual. I’ll leave a link at Miz Q’s. The NaPoWriMo site asks for an erasure, today. I have never done an erasure, but I have just spent a month with a group of highly creative people who have. NaPoWriMo suggests Ginsberg’s Howl as a source text, among others.

I looked at Howl with some trepidation and then my eyes began to see the path. I would like to dedicate the erasure to my fellow Pulitzer Remixers (this includes you Jenni Baker!), for the help, the support, the camaraderie, and the shared experience. Some of the lines seem particularly apt to how our brains must feel as we crawl towards the finish. The phrase ‘my generation’ is as close as I can find for us.

npwm howl crop

Posted by on 26/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

17 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Erasing 26

1. Yousei Hime

26/04/2013 at 5:39 pm

Nice. Reminds me of Oppenheimer’s famous speech.

26/04/2013 at 5:47 pm

Adding to my education are you?! I’ll find it now and read it tomorrow. Can’t wait.

• Yousei Hime

26/04/2013 at 5:53 pm

I’ll save you time.

26/04/2013 at 5:55 pm

I could get used to being spoiled you know :-)

What an interesting face he has.

• Yousei Hime

26/04/2013 at 6:27 pm

;) I’ll try. He does doesn’t he? Rather gaunt.

26/04/2013 at 6:16 pm

You have been working extremely hard. Only four more daze. And then perhaps on towards another madness yet to be named…because time, creativity and inspiration will not be silenced.

Just for a laugh and something different …only 100 words for a Flash Fiction prompt:

Mrs. Peacock, in the Library with the Club

The will had stated that he had left clues to his investments in the library.
    That was just like Stan wanting the last hurrah, making the heirs work. Out
    of the three of us in the will – myself and the children. I, his wife was the only
    one who really needed to know where the money was. That damn prenup.

Stan’s sons were well enough off, basically signed documents that I could
    have all that I could find. They had played his games all their lives and wanted
    no more. My aces, my friends from my murder mystery writer’s group.

JP/davh
    Because all of our friends are our Aces…

27/04/2013 at 12:08 pm

More spoiling. Bless you for not making me go somewhere, Jules! I enjoyed the piece.

3. Stan Ski

26/04/2013 at 7:22 pm

You had me at ‘I’…

27/04/2013 at 12:09 pm

You had me at ‘I’ as well, Stan. You nut!

4. 1sojournal

26/04/2013 at 7:38 pm

I remember the first time I read Howl, took me days to come back up to the surface again. But, oh I like what you’ve done and now want to do it myself. It made me shiver a bit, to actually see what you were doing. Wonderful stuff,

Elizabeth

27/04/2013 at 12:10 pm

Thank you, Elizabeth. If I think about it too long it’s the serendipity that leads us that makes me shiver, while exulting.

5. Marianne

26/04/2013 at 8:17 pm

This is spectacular, Margo. I must try one soon. Ginsberg was a genius.

27/04/2013 at 12:11 pm

Ginsberg was a whole other world, Marianne! His poetry still is.

6. Pamela

27/04/2013 at 11:46 am

You always amaze me, Margo. I am sure that is not as easy as one might think. It reads quite well.
    I agree Ginsberg was genius and a perfect choice.

27/04/2013 at 12:11 pm

It’s not easy, Pamela, but, if you have the right text…

7. Mr. Walker

27/04/2013 at 11:58 am

margo, this is amazing. I’m going to have to try an erasure like this. And I’m obviously going to have to read Ginsberg too.

chalk war rider

27/04/2013 at 12:14 pm

Richard, pick the right source text and it’s a dream to work. I had no luck until this. Thank you, napowrimo!

You realise you even have cool nicknames: Hey, Rider! Yo, Chalk!