NaPoWriMo: 7th Heaven

07 Apr

One week under my belt, brain flagging as might be evidenced by the conglomeration of prompts that became the poem. It all started simply, innocently, as a response to Miz Q’s prompt yesterday: We want five song titles in an order you did not plan.Song title one tells you your subject. Number two tells you something to hide (however you want to interpret that). Within the text of the poem, include the other three titles–word for word. Fun!

Something in the Air by Thunderclap Newman
She’s Got a Way by Billy Joel
Thank the Lord for the Nighttime by Neil Diamond
Sandman by America
My Life by Billy Joel
And When I Die by Blood, Sweat & Tears

I know, six titles; I misread. That’s how I started. Then, I read NaPoWriMo’s yesterday prompt that asks for a valediction. Oh well, says I, that can go in. And, Miz Q’s this morning: Include a place you’ve never been, a place you know well, and a place fictional or imaginary. For each place, appeal to different pair of senses. WELL! Of course we can do that says the brain.We have the three places, albeit somewhat abstract. Yup.

Asleep,

I reclaim my life from her, a life full of bees
droning. She has a way of being, of seeming,
of smothering, something always in the air,

an air so perfumed I can eat it. I thank the Lord
for the time when Sandman pulls me into a world
without her, a world of silences, the small death

of sleep into which I escape. When I die, I shall bid
her Be well, as I leave to inhabit that endless night

forever dark,
forever silent,
forever at peace,
forever asleep.

Posted by on 07/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

21 responses to “NaPoWriMo: 7th Heaven

1. pmwanken

07/04/2013 at 12:11 pm

I’ve read this several times and enjoyed it more with each reading. You outdid yourself with the mashup of prompts…it’s been a while since I’ve tackled that. And reading how smoothly you have done so, tells me I’ll wait a bit longer before attempting to do so again. ;) Well done, my friend.

07/04/2013 at 12:20 pm

Thank you! You were the queen of mashups before you and shadorma took up together!

07/04/2013 at 12:12 pm

Pure magic. I’m glad that you’re joining in this April because I love reading your poetry.

07/04/2013 at 12:21 pm

Thank you, Misk. I am enjoying participating and wondering what the heck I am going to do when my brain tells me it’s taking the day off!

3. Houston Roby

07/04/2013 at 12:23 pm

Eat It – Weird Al Yankovic
    Without Her – Nilsson
    Escape (Pina Colada Song) – Rupert Holmes

You added three more song titles without even realizing it. Love it!

07/04/2013 at 12:33 pm

What can I say? Now I’m thinking, write an entire poem from song titles…

07/04/2013 at 1:03 pm

I loved the first line and first word…and the rest that followed. And I knew all the song references!!!
    How cool is that…? Well maybe if you are stuck in the Oldies :)

I am in awe of you and others who play ‘Stuff the Prompt’ or ‘Stuff the Poem with Prompts’ I might have done that a few times. But not on a regular basis.

I had fun with Wordles thanks to Brenda and Marianne here:

And Miz Q today, I went as far as my front yard, Australia and then to Wonderland here:

I too like Misky am having fun enjoying your poetry.

It’s funny when you add stuff unconsciously as Huston pointed out. But I bet we could go into our files and find tons of one and two word song titles that we weren’t thinking were song titles when we used them. Whatever gets you mind going…take it and run…or fly with scissors. :) (But safely, please.)

• julespaige

07/04/2013 at 1:04 pm

oops didn’t mean to leave a letter out of Houston’s name…I blame fast finger joyful typing.

5. viv blake

07/04/2013 at 1:58 pm

I am awestruck not only at your knowledge of songs but also at your persistent and thorough following of the multiplicity of prompts which is starting to drown me!

07/04/2013 at 2:23 pm

ViV, I am hanging on by fingernails.

6. Quickly

07/04/2013 at 3:17 pm

You’d think list-y prompts would work together easily, but they almost never sing like this. Must be that thought of valediction that add the grace.

07/04/2013 at 5:57 pm

But the valediction would not have occurred without the list!

7. Stan Ski

07/04/2013 at 6:20 pm

Good stuff!

08/04/2013 at 10:55 am

Thanks, Stan. Good to see you.

8. jacquelinecaseypoetry

07/04/2013 at 8:50 pm

Fun to read and see what you are doing here with all those prompts. Interesting work. Too taxing for my brain at the moment. Am already doing the Writer’s PAD for April.

9. Mr. Walker

10/04/2013 at 10:16 pm

Margo, how you got this out of those song titles, I’ll never know. I love how you’ve played with that death/sleep idea.

Richard

10/04/2013 at 11:25 pm

Laughing, Richard. I had to go back to my notes to see how the heck I did get to what I have. It helps to see the song titles without the singers attached, just as lines. Like a wordle I started associating.