Tuesday Tryouts: Let’s Fly

05 Feb

listening to Only the Good Die Young by Billy Joel

Hello, all. Today we have a found prompt. I decided this year, in an effort to extend the life of my blog and possibly my brain, that occasionally I will look to others for prompts. For our first official one [as I have adapted many that came originally from my mentor, many of which he adapted from...], I am adapting an idea that comes from Bonni Goldberg, in her book Room to Write. She titles her exercise, ‘With or Without Wings’.

I have been fascinated, nay, obsessed, with Icarus almost from the moment I started writing poetry. Thanks to Douglas Robertson’s art and offer to allow me to use one of his pieces as inspiration, I finally have my Icarus poem. Am I asking you to write about Icarus? No. After all, if you aren’t obsessed, what fun would that be? Icarus is the ultimate metaphor for flying, as a metaphor. It’s complicated. I want you to write about flying, literally, or figuratively.

Even if you have never set foot in an aeroplane, everyone has experienced the sensation of flying, in some form, the tetherless, free, soaring feeling, even if your feet never leave the ground. In some measure, anything involving great speeds can give you the feeling: roller-coasters, galloping on a horse, racing cars, or sprinting. For me, what must be the closest to the feeling of flying is scuba diving. The first time I put on a tank and submerged, able to breathe in the water, I thought, this must be what it is like to fly. For me, flying is freedom.

Flying is also metaphorical: It has to do with taking off, ascending, soaring… Before we ever had ways to reach the sky, flying was a central image in literature (Goldberg, 44). Think of ways you have flown, emotionally. Maybe, when you won an award, or when you knew you were in love, or you achieved a personal goal. For me it is the moment a poem comes together. For that moment I soar.

Your task is to list all the different ways you have flown, moments when you have soared, times when you felt you touched the sky. See if there are common threads, where you might want to bring a couple of things together. Jot notes on anything that makes your brain perk up. You will want specific imagery and strong verbs and nouns. Then, ask yourself how the poem should look and sound.

May you write an Icarus poem? Pfffttt. Of course.

I shall see you Thursday for some links; Friday for the week’s prompt roundup; and next Tuesday for a — wow, did I just have a senior moment. I got up to get the file where I have prompts, came back towards the computer, saw the light on in my husband’s computer room, went in, turned it off, thought to myself I might as well pick up his towels, tossed them in the dryer, thought breakfast might be good, made toast, pulled the garbage out to remind me, looked up and saw the prompt folder near the computer and thought, s___, I haven’t finished my blog. I can hear my mother laughing, now — so, where was I? Next Tuesday’s prompt probably will have something to do with a sense of the land.

Happy writing, everyone. 11954328501948365723PeterM_Angel_wings_3.svg.thumb

Posted by on 05/02/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

40 responses to “Tuesday Tryouts: Let’s Fly

1. JulesPaige

05/02/2013 at 9:26 am

I’m going to have to come back to this… ack the dreaded ‘List’ – maybe I’ll give ‘it’ a try. I do love Doug’s work as you know my Wordle story verse started with one of his pieces. One with birds!
    Busy week with Son of Son…but the evenings are all mine…bwah-haha..ha-ha!

05/02/2013 at 11:46 am

Jules, just run it off without thinking too much, then go back over.

You treasure those evenings!

2. barbara_y

05/02/2013 at 10:23 am

I’m supposed to be revisingI’m supposed to be revisingI’m supposed to be revisingI’m supposed to be revisingI’m supposed to be revising

3. Emma at LLM Calling

05/02/2013 at 1:58 pm

what a great prompt, I enjoyed this even if I went at it a little differently

05/02/2013 at 2:02 pm

Emma, I always enjoy differently.

4. markwindham

05/02/2013 at 2:29 pm

ah, sadly time is against me this week…but I have explored the subject before.

yes, they are much older. Difference in voice is noticeable.

06/02/2013 at 8:27 am

Ack! forgot I hadn’t visited. Glad I remembered from the depths!

It’s good that time is against you, sort of.

5. Carol Carlisle

05/02/2013 at 5:08 pm

I am obsessed with Icarus so I had to go there and to the Super bowl and…well you’ll see. Watch the video with a hanky if you haven’t seen it already. http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/a-poem-of-flight-for-sandy-hook-school-clildren/

6. JulesPaige

05/02/2013 at 10:05 pm

I made a short list, and even did a few revisions (only for you)…you should be proud. :)

OK, now it is 10pm I can call it a night. Pleasant dreams…

7. whimsygizmo

05/02/2013 at 11:14 pm

Oooo. I have a thing for Icarus, too.
    This one is not new. Working up a new one now, but thought you might like this one.

06/02/2013 at 7:22 am

de, I like anything you write. Heading over now.

8. JulesPaige

06/02/2013 at 7:43 am

We were supposed to write an anaphora poem over at We Write poems…
    But well while I know I’ve done stuff like that (didn’t know it had a name)…
    I had fun coloring outside the lines…again, yet, always :)
    Something else to make you grin (or wince) – Enjoy:

06/02/2013 at 7:58 am

I love it when you colour outside the lines, Jules.

• JulesPaige

06/02/2013 at 8:15 am

I first thought I was sort of following the rules, but then I wavered and doubted myself. But I did ‘repeat that’ didn’t I?! My Muse just blindsides me sometimes…OK most of the times. Did I just create a new form? If you ever run out of prompts you may use ‘it’ “Anaphoric Acrostic” with my blessings.

~Grasshopper :)

06/02/2013 at 8:19 am

Absolutely, you did. I think it inspired. You have one or two new acrostic forms. I also have a note about one you did that alternated black and white [I think]. I’ll add this to it. Maybe I’ll have an acrostic day this summer!

• JulesPaige

06/02/2013 at 10:06 am

The ‘black’ and ‘white’, plus others words that I repeated are (what I call) acrosTics.
            (tic…tick being the pun.)
            Not sure if there was another ‘home brew’ acrostic form :)

06/02/2013 at 8:42 am

Already been!

• Misky

06/02/2013 at 9:18 am

I know! Maybe it’ll drag someone else over to read it. ;)

06/02/2013 at 9:42 am

I hope so. That is one downside to my saying poems can come in anytime. Hmm. Maybe, each Friday, I’ll remind people to go over and check, if they haven’t. ‘Cause I’ll know how many poems there are.

9. vivinfrance

06/02/2013 at 11:39 am

Sorry I’m late – I’ve had a lot to cope with the last couple of days. This little ditty arrived as I was walking in the village this morning:

Flying

There’s polythene and paper
    flying all over the village –
    I pick it up and bin it.

There are dustbin lids flying
    where should be none.
    I pick them up
    and cover the open mouths.

The bin men have been
    and it’s windy.
    Need I say more?

07/02/2013 at 12:28 pm

I’m happy anytime you post, ViV. I know this scene well, so it’s fun to have it appear as a poem.

10. purplepeninportland

06/02/2013 at 10:53 pm

Flying in the 80’s, aah! This was fun.

07/02/2013 at 8:43 am

I’m so glad. Coming over now.

07/02/2013 at 4:13 pm

Well, Margo, I was a good kid and I actually wrote notes… journal-ed them and made an outline for what I want to cover the order etc….I’m not sure when the poem will be birthed, (I have my weekly belly-dancing class tonight). I was unplugged for like three-four days!? Wow. I slept. Any way. Too much, huh? I’m glad to be here and am getting ready to read your Icarus…I didn’t want my notes to be flavored so I waited. Smiles…rambling “Hannah-smiles!”

08/02/2013 at 9:29 am

Too good, maybe? However, if it works. You might, given your time strictures, schedule this once a week, or every two weeks. My list and jot poems are the ones I research, outline, draft, and redraft, the ones I submit to journals. So they are different from the ones I have to write in 24 hours for the wordles. You, of course, my prolific poet, write every time you turn around.

Never too much, my friend.

• Hannah Gosselin

17/02/2013 at 2:04 pm

Thank you, Margo!! Lots of fodder for me to consider here.

I didn’t read this one today the way I planned because I’m home with a cold, (again). But I finally posted it so here it is. :)

17/02/2013 at 3:05 pm

You are going to have to dip your hands in Purel before you do anything and after you do anything, or consume large quantities of Vitamin C and B!

• Hannah Gosselin

17/02/2013 at 3:59 pm

I know!! This is true…I do a ton of hand-washing…I managed to be the last one in the family to get it after warding off the germs for two weeks!! Wow. :)’s

12. Yousei Hime

08/02/2013 at 11:52 am

Finally took you up on your prompt. You’ll find it here. Very simple, low imagery, but not too bad (I hope). http://tasmith1122.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/for-tuesday-tryouts-lets-fly/

08/02/2013 at 11:53 am

Well, hello there! I’ll be over in a sec.