Friday Freeforall: And So We Begin… Again

04 Jan

listening to Both Sides Now with Judy Collins

HELLO! Yes, I am excited to be back with you. New followers, welcome. I hope everyone had a relaxing and relatively peaceful holiday. Everyone ready? I’ll chat more next Tuesday, or Thursday. For now, let’s go. As always, Donna opens:

Well. I stopped to read the poem Donna features at The Poetry Mixtape: ‘The River Confesses,’ by Carol Berg, and was so taken with it and the premise of her chapbook, Ophelia Unraveling, that I stopped to order a copy. Head over to read the poem and to see what Donna suggests we try.

I can see this will be one of those days when I take four hours to write this. I arrived at Joseph’s blog, naming constellations, to be reminded that he starts his new format tomorrow. I had to race over to my poems folder and ship off the poem I hope he critiques, at some point. For the final Reverie of the year and Joseph’s putting forth his idea for the coming year, head over. What he says about one’s writing improving with the taking apart of others’ poetry is true. I envy him the year, but we will learn so much by following along.

Over at The Music In It: Adele Kenny’s Poetry Blog, Adele tells us, you’ll need to think about your past, present, and future Christmases, Chanukahs, Kwanzaas, or other annual winter-season celebrations. Head over. Remember that Adele is always a good source for poems to read, even if a prompt doesn’t jumpstart your mind.

At The Sunday Whirl, Brenda brought us words, despite the flu. I am considering a sit-in with myself to get a poem done for Sunday [although it's last week's words I want!]. Visit to see the wordle and to read what others have done.

At Carry On Tuesday,  Keith has chosen a great line, both for the end of one year and the beginning of another, from George Bernard Shaw. Go on over to view the line and a link to the poem from which it comes.

Go to Mad Kane’s Humor Blog for Limerick-off Mondays. Look around while you are there. Although I don’t write limericks [the time, Madeleine, the time], I love their cleverness and the word play involved in successful ones. I visit because I know I will laugh and laughing is good, so visit to read, to laugh, perhaps to write.

Visit Magpie Tales for our first image prompt, a photograph, by R.A.D. Stainforth. I can tell people are still on holiday; only 63 people have written, a low for The Mag. Or, people might not know how to respond to this particular image.Remember a couple of things: you can be metaphorical; and you may write about only part of the picture, for example, the ashes. Head over.

At Poetry Jam, Mary gives us candles and several directions in which we might go. Visit to see what she suggests.

Elizabeth, 1sojournal, like Joseph, is shifting in direction, so, while not a prompt, is still an important place to go and read. She says of her new posts, I found the very beginnings of my own story as a serious writer. Discovered me, making notes about finding my own path for the next twenty years. The things that worked, and the ones that didn’t… I intend to continue reading, but also intend to share more of these bits and pieces. Many of them contain the first thoughts and ideas that became the articles on this blog. I believe they contain that first eye opening energy of the beginner, that one who has finally grasped a much wider concept than she has allowed herself in the past. It’s an energy I wish to share.

At Carol’s blog, Light Words, the photograph and accompanying words provide material for a prompt, although this is not Carol’s regular prompt. We do get a bonus. Should you be interested in meditation, either to do, or as a prompt in itself, read the rest of the post. Visit.

At imaginary garden with real toads, Mary’s Mixed Bag presents us with windows, a topic I never tire of. Head over to read what she says and to look around. Go play with the toads.

We Write Poems presents us a bit of fun with their first prompt of the year [which is not to say the poem written cannot be serious]. Check out their tangent from a wordle. Also, if you missed it, read the previous post where we were asked to talk about books that had an impact on [y]our sense of writing.

At dVerse, we are trying a form, the lune, both types. An American take on a haiku, one is syllabic and the other counts words. They are small and fun, so take several bites. Visit. Wander around. Stay awhile; it’s such a friendly place. Champagne all round.

Patricia K. Lichen, Author: Weekend Haiku & Limericks gives us a choice of  any topic discussed on her blog in the past week, as well as the comments, for a possible source. Her topics are always focused on an aspect of nature. Patricia’s site has the feel of walking on a beach, or through a forest.

Flash fiction fans: I’m going to give you the link to the general site of Flashy Fiction, rather than always giving you Friday, as you might come to the site on a different day, thus be offered a different image. Pot luck.

If that is not enough, look straight up, at the top of the blog and you will see a new tab: Freeforall: Even More Prompt Sites. The sites won’t always be up-to-date, but the links will get you there.

If you have questions, ask. If you write in response to any of these, the people whose blogs you visit would love to read your responses. So, post!

I shall see you Tuesday for a prompt [I know, vague]; Thursday for a topic, hitherto unpicked [so if anyone has something they want me to discuss, discover, explain, let me know at: margoroby@gmail.com]; and next Friday for the usual.

I’m so glad to be back with you. Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 04/01/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 responses to “Friday Freeforall: And So We Begin… Again

1. cloudfactor5

04/01/2013 at 9:37 am

Welcome back Margo !

2. barbara_

04/01/2013 at 12:17 pm

Soooo glad you’re back!

04/01/2013 at 2:03 pm

So glad to hear from you, Barbara. Not that I’m checking off names, but I’m sitting here like an anxious mother, waiting to see every one got home from prom.

04/01/2013 at 12:33 pm

Glad you are back, though I didn’t get you in my in-box like I normally do?

I started playing with Flashy Fiction and had to create a blog just for those pieces:
    If you are inclined at any time and have nothing better to do…please visit:

Hugs. ~J

04/01/2013 at 2:04 pm

Uh oh, Jules. Your inbox might be sulking because I haven’t replied to your lovely email. I shall do so promptly-ish. If it’s my settings… we’re doomed.

hugs — m

• julespaige

04/01/2013 at 3:03 pm

na..I’ll just come and look for you…I’ve also got you ‘bookmarked!’ :)
        I think WordPress did some rearranging of issues while you were away. Maybe that’s part of it? Who knows?
        Cheers!

4. Khara House

04/01/2013 at 1:52 pm

I think my head just exploded … SO much poetry stuff to pour through! I’ll have a full weekend for sure :) Thank you for all this, and welcome back!

04/01/2013 at 2:11 pm

You are welcome and thank you :-). An occasional head explosion is good. Why on earth don’t I have your blog in here? I know. You have no idea. Writing myself a note.

04/01/2013 at 2:13 pm

Yay!!!! It’s MARGO!! SO happy to see you…again!! ;) I hope your holidays were full of all the good things my friend. <3

04/01/2013 at 2:16 pm

I have missed my HANNAH laugh. Just seeing you, I’m smiling. Reading your comment, I’m laughing. The holidays were wonderful. I’m thinking yours probably was, too :-)

• Hannah Gosselin

04/01/2013 at 2:29 pm

I’m SO glad!! Margo, you MUST know it brings me great joy to see you so happy because of lil’ ol’ me!!! Truly!! Thank you.

Yes, holidays…certainly fell into the happy category! Everyone got a cold that we’re still eeking through each day with extra vitamin C but other than that it was good. :)

04/01/2013 at 2:35 pm

Good heavens woman, you are an inspiration. Tell me you go have screaming fits in the corner, every now and then, or sulk and act like a teenager :-)

• Hannah Gosselin

04/01/2013 at 2:52 pm

ME!! An inspiration!? Ahem..the latter…more true than I’d like to admit! ;)

6. Mary

04/01/2013 at 7:06 pm

So glad to see you back, Margo! Your words / features were definitely missed!!

05/01/2013 at 9:21 am

Thank you, Mary. I am happy to be going into 2013 with you!

7. Umesh Rao

04/01/2013 at 11:55 pm

Hi Margo! Glad to see you back. Happy New Year :)

05/01/2013 at 9:22 am

Hi Umesh! Thank you and a happy one to you!

8. Carol Carlisle

08/01/2013 at 2:31 pm

For some reason I’m so far behind ;) Welcome back. You help me get in the swing of things again.

08/01/2013 at 3:46 pm

My pleasure, Carol :-). Good to see you!