It’s All About the Words: Friday Freeforall

19 Oct

listening to James Taylor singing You’ve Got a Friend

Hello, all. We had a wonderful road trip through Tennessee. I highly recommend a visit, should you be casting around for a holiday. After my husband headed home, I joined my uncle in Alabama for an on the ground search for anything on my great-grandfather, a mysterious individual. We hit gold: a marriage certificate that had been input since I last scoured the Net for him. We were beginning to think he had been a cad. Now he’s just mysterious… but, officially married :-D.

I apologise for the lack of response to comments in that time. The computer did not come along. Yes, it is sulking.

At The Poetry Mixtape Donna shares the poem “Vanity” from Leslie C. Chang. I enjoyed both the poem and Donna’s suggestion for a poem from us. As with all Saturday prompts, the new prompt will be up tomorrow, or you can wait for next Friday! Whichever, visit.

In Reverie Forty-one: right placement, right timing,  Joseph has yet another fun and interesting exercise for us, this on the rhythm of words and the effect of their placement. I am going to have to take a month off to concentrate on Joseph’s ‘Reveries’. They are so good for stretching the poetry writing muscle and I never seem to have time to sit and concentrate. Maybe Christmas… Head over and read through. If nothing else, go read the poem by my favourite poet, Li-Young Lee.

Over at The Music In It: Adele Kenny’s Poetry Blog, Adele tells us how she arrived at this week’s prompt, which focuses on our driving force. I have deactivated the link as my virus scanner goes nuts each time I visit the page [but not until I created the link to her page]. Hopefully, someone who knows Adele will tell her there might be a problem [most probably with a link rather than her blog]. Meanwhile, I’ll monitor.

At The Sunday Whirl, the words are from ‘Shifting the Sun’ by Diana Der-Hovanessian. Brenda has given us the poem. Even if you don’t wordle [why not?], go read the poem. Visit to see the wordle and to read what others have done.

Whup! At Carry On Tuesday,  Keith gives us the title of a song by the band Queen.  As always, he provides a link so we can hear the song and read the lyrics. Excuse me a moment while I watch the video and listen…

There’s my smile. It is time for Limerick-off Mondays. Go to Mad Kane’s Humor Blog. Look around while you are there. She calls it a humour blog for a reason. Go for the laugh. It’s healthy. It doesn’t much matter if you don’t want to write a limerick; reading them brightens a day. Fact.

Visit Magpie Tales for our first image prompt, a painting by Curtis Wilson Cost. I found myself not looking at the painting so much as wondering what is happening in the house. That’s a possible way to approach the prompt; another is as someone approaching, describing exactly what they see, with a minimum of speculation.

At Poetry Jam, Peggy discusses the possibilities attached to shadows. Visit to read the prompt.

Have a problem conveying a truth pithily? Visit Elizabeth’s site, Musical Notes. The new song will go up every Tuesday. This prompt is fun to play and tinker with, not only because the inspiration is a song, but because the response must be done in 15 words. Sounds fun, doesn’t it? It is. Show up next Tuesday!

Carolisle at Wonder Wednesday gives us a photograph to focus us on the end of summer. It’s a strong visual in a number of ways. Head over and check it out.

At imaginary garden with real toads, it’s time for A Word With Laurie. Visit to see her photographs. I stayed with the Buddha a while. I felt a sense of calm each time I scrolled past. There are other interesting challenges. Wander through the gardens. Go play with the toads.

We Write Poems gives us Part 2 of an exercise that has us inhabiting a part of the landscape. If you weren’t able to get to Part 1, do them both, now, or trawl back through drafts and notes to find something to work from.

At dVerse, I didn’t even look at the rest of the week. I stayed at the Bar where they are offering steampunk and enjambment. I’m not sure life can get more fun. I want an entire room done as steampunk and I love playing with enjambment. Life is good. Stay awhile; it’s such a friendly place. I have the recipe for Jimmy Buffett’s Perfect Margaritas [ingredients, not measurements]. I might just share it. Come on over.

Patricia doesn’t have Friday up yet [I must be posting this earlier than usual], so I investigated her tab, ‘Passionate Slugs’. You have to admit it’s hard to resist. One could have fun with a found poem based on the list, or a list poem. Patricia K. Lichen, Author, in her Weekend Haiku & Limericks  has at least one article, and one photograph to use as prompts for a haiku, or a limerick [and if it sparks something else, wonderful. Just because you can't post other, doesn't mean you should ignore inspiration. Am I right?]. The images of flowers, alone, are worth the visit. Patricia’s site has the feel of walking on a beach, or through a forest. A comforting feel to it.

Flash fiction fans: I’m going to give you the link to the general site of Flashy Fiction, rather than always giving you Friday, as you might come to the site on a different day, thus be offered a different image. Pot luck.

If that is not enough, look straight up, at the top of the blog and you will see a new tab: Freeforall: Even More Prompt Sites. The sites won’t always be up-to-date, but the links will get you there.

If you have questions, ask. If you write in response to any of these, the people whose blogs you visit would love to read your responses. So, post!

I shall see you Tuesday [sounds good writing those words] to play with our last heavy-duty exercise until January. I know! I looked at the calendar. Many of you participate in NaNoWriMo, so that takes care of November. December is all holidays and visitings. That takes us to January and, dare I say it, 2013. Good Grief. Thursday, we will look around and have a brief state of the blog address and a couple of links. Friday will be more of above, because you can’t write prose all November.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 19/10/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 responses to “It’s All About the Words: Friday Freeforall

1. Veronica Roth

19/10/2012 at 10:10 am

Love the story about your great grandfather. Mine are all already written down in books so I can’t find any mystery..darn. Yesterday I wrote a Sunday Whirl…partly because I found 5 whole minutes together and partly because I’ve discovered that it’s not so much staring into a blank canvas with those words. I love it. The only other Friday Freeforall I found I love is the Flashy Fiction. I should maybe revisit some more. Oh…I loved your summer prompts too Margo. Will you do more prompts at some point?

19/10/2012 at 10:24 am

Hello! Good to see you, Veronica. The Sunday Whirl is my poetry lifeline, as it ensures I write something, if only a draft, every week.

I do prompts every Tuesday, so I’m not sure quite what you mean. Let me know and I’ll be able to answer that!

• Veronica Roth

19/10/2012 at 10:28 am

My bad! :) I guess I had more time this summer for that sumer challenge and so it stands out in my mind. Right, have to look into the Tuesday prompts more closely. Also, have to find your Sunday Whirls, I’d love to read them. Do you post a link on the Whirl page? I’m lazy and usually click on the links from the page.

19/10/2012 at 10:32 am

Oh, I am laughing at you. I do post on the Sunday Whirl, but have been a bit lax lately. I have drafts, but no posted poems. Here’s a link from a couple of weeks ago. Add your thoughts. This is one I want to rework.
          Hopefully we’ll see each other’s poems this coming week :-)

• Veronica Roth

19/10/2012 at 10:42 am

I usually post mine on my website tagged with “I’m not as green as I’m cabbage looking” for Warning! V’s writing poetry again! But then they just stay there. I’ve never thought of reworking them or…gulp…submitting them somewhere. What do you do with yours?

19/10/2012 at 10:48 am

After I post, I let the poems sit a couple of weeks and then go in and pull the ones I want to revise. I submit my poetry pretty regularly, although I am lazy about it and could [should] do a lot more.

If you have poems you feel good about, start looking at journals that other people say they have been published in, until you find one that seems to match your work. The very worst that can happen is they say no. Hey. It’s not fun but it’s just a no. It often has nothing to do with the quality of your poem, but the taste of the editor[s].

• Veronica Roth

19/10/2012 at 10:58 am

I should do more submitting. My claim to fame is that I won a first prize and a good deal of cash for an anthology about 5 yrs ago! I’m not worried about the rejections; lord knows I get loads from magazines. My problem is that some of the whirl words are…um…chunky in the poem, you know, forced. Do you find that? If I change the word to something smoother and more elegant feeling it destroys the spirit of the challenge then for me. Maybe I’m being too sensitive again.

19/10/2012 at 11:02 am

Ah. That would be because you aren’t looking at the two things separately. I do the Whirl and am stringent with myself about using all the words, in the form given. The challenge brings some surprising stuff for me. But, after that, all bets are off. Once I start revising for submission, it becomes about the poem and what it’s conveying, not about the Whirl challenge.

2. Joseph Harker

19/10/2012 at 11:14 am

If you’re into steampunk décor, you must visit http://steampunkworkshop.com/, if you haven’t already. Jake Von Slatt is way awesome.

19/10/2012 at 11:26 am

Joseph, I went straight to the site, before even responding to you. As soon as I finish I shall return and cruise for a possible present Skip can give me. I have a permanent bookmark on a steampunk USB, but it costs 300. I sit with the picture sometimes :-D. I did find a steampunk pug t-shirt, which everyone in may family is getting for Christmas. We love pugs.

Thank you for the link. Excuse me if I rush off.

3. PJF Sayers

19/10/2012 at 5:33 pm

Nice to see you back with us, Margo. Glad the trip was fun.

19/10/2012 at 5:49 pm

It’s good to be back, Pamela. Hope all is well with you.

19/10/2012 at 7:53 pm

Hi!!!! So good to see you Margo! That’s a goodie for sure…try this one Margo… http://youtu.be/VD24hy23CBE So good…I think it’s my new fave!! Thank you for the worded round-up! :lol:

5. val dering rojas

20/10/2012 at 12:10 am

Welcome back! Glad you had a great trip!

Now, off to write!! (or at least make another list of awesome prompts :-) )

23/10/2012 at 9:13 am

Thank you! I’m a little slow getting back into comments :-)

• val dering rojas

23/10/2012 at 11:58 am

Well, that’s to be expected after a fantastic trip. :-)