See the Olympics: Tuesday Tryouts

28 Aug

Listening to Rapid Transit Hula by The Brothers Cazimero

Hello, everyone. Today is our image day. I have a great image for us but am waiting for permission. The site’s owner is away from his computer for a few days, so next month, if he says yes.

Instead I am going to give you two links to some of the most incredible photography I have seen. Both sets are published by The Atlantic and both are sets of photographs from the Olympics. I think the second set, of the final days, is better, but that isn’t terribly relevant to this. What is, is the photography that allows us to see, frozen, that which we watched [or not] at a continuous pace.

Your poems do not have to have anything to do with the Olympics. Remember always, that an image is merely a spark for your brain. Nor, do your poems have to be about sports. Maybe an image will remind you of something you read, or saw, or were a part of. You do not have to mention what is happening in the photograph, at all. You can leave it behind, once the spark has ignited.

So, trawl through the photographs. Enjoy them. Jot notes for two or three of them that do spark possibilities. Look over your notes, mull, write, post.

If you have not been back to read the event poems that came from last Tuesday’s exercise, do. The results were fascinating in their diversity.

2012 London Olympics: The First 9 Days

2012 London Olympics: The Final Week

I shall see you Thursday for a grab bag. No one has announcements? Questions? Hmm? Friday, we’ll have our Freeforall; next Tuesday we are back to where we were at the beginning of the summer, with a prompt on self. As Poetic Bloomings is also doing that, I shall endeavour to make sure we differ, or not.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 28/08/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

34 responses to “See the Olympics: Tuesday Tryouts

1. carolisle

28/08/2012 at 7:11 pm

Margo opps I want with my own photo to create a Berry Picking Olympic event :) http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/the-ripe-berry-challenge/

29/08/2012 at 9:19 am

Such a rebel, Carolisle. I’ll be over shortly.

2. The Happy Amateur

28/08/2012 at 9:48 pm

Hi, Margo, great photographs, thank you. My “spark” was ignited by one particular photo that depicted something totally natural and yet unusual these days (at least in sportsmen)

Here’s something that fills me with glee,
    Something manly, so rare to see…
    Got third place? Just forget it,
    Those judges – they don’t get it,
    Don’t go shaving! Yell, “Watch me dive, whee!”

It was refreshing to see a male diver’s hairy legs :-) (I even had to use two exclamation points.)

29/08/2012 at 9:32 am

Aren’t they something, Sasha? And, why were you looking at the diver’s hairy legs? Okay, the photograph made you :-). Let’s see, two exclamation marks, mmm… ;-)

• The Happy Amateur

29/08/2012 at 10:17 am

Well, it was hard to not notice them :-), it’s unusual these days: they all seem to wax themselves (ugh…)
        On a serious note, those are really outstanding photographs.

29/08/2012 at 10:29 am

I’m happy I came across them.

I have noticed that cutting hair is not necessarily done, either, swimmers and runners.

• The Happy Amateur

29/08/2012 at 10:35 am

Isn’t that funny? If they say it’s about speed, you’d think a headful of hair would slow you down.. Now I got you thinking about hair :-)

29/08/2012 at 10:40 am

Ah, Sasha, I always think about hair ;-). I had an article published, a few years ago, on Plains Indian Hairstyles in the 18th and 19th Centuries. I know, not a catchy title. As far as I know, I am the world’s leading authority, lol, so hair tends to get my attention!

• The Happy Amateur

29/08/2012 at 11:34 am

You are truly full of surprises, I’m so impressed..

29/08/2012 at 11:41 am

Grin — it’s not like there are a lot of people clamouring to research this topic. It was a lot of fun. I found so many instances of plagiarism amongst sources. I enjoyed tracking one back through five authors to the original primary source.

• Annette Mickelson

29/08/2012 at 6:43 pm

I know swimmers shave to cut down on drag — its why they wear a cap as well. But, divers I always figured did it for vanity or the “look” or something. I noticed the hairy legs immediately, as well.

• viv blake

30/08/2012 at 1:52 am

I kept saying that when we were watching the track events. I imagine world records would fall if some of those girls cut their mops short. Even the pole vaulters could have done with cutting off bits that might snag the pole!

30/08/2012 at 7:53 am

ViV, I was amazed by all the women who had long, loose hair. It had to be a pain in the rear!

• purplepeninportland

29/08/2012 at 11:36 pm

Love this, Sasha.

29/08/2012 at 12:45 pm

Hello. Mine is ready for your reading and comment. http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2012/08/29/the-death-of-green/

• Misky

29/08/2012 at 12:47 pm

I should have mentioned that mine is based on the last series of photos, mostly those that aren’t triumphant and jubilant.

29/08/2012 at 1:06 pm

Heading your way, Misky.

4. barbara_

29/08/2012 at 12:51 pm

Love the one of the cyclists on the rim of the mother ship (okay, that’s just how it looked to me) and the tilt-shift equestrian. I’m a sucker for gimmicks.

29/08/2012 at 1:07 pm

I never noticed that about you, Barbara. [It does look like a mother ship, doesn't it]

5. purplepeninportland

29/08/2012 at 5:52 pm

I was captured by the fire alongside the heat of the athletes in competition. Mine is up.

29/08/2012 at 5:57 pm

Interesting, Sara. I’m on my way.

6. Annette Mickelson

29/08/2012 at 6:40 pm

When I looked at the photos, I was reminded of the days when I was a competitive swimmer (childhood through university).

30/08/2012 at 7:45 am

Hey, Annette, I was too! Any particular stroke? I was anything but breaststroke.

• Annette Mickelson

30/08/2012 at 11:02 am

I was horrible at breaststroke and didn’t care much for backstroke although I was decent. I was primarily a freestyle (100m, 200m, 500m) and butterfly (100 & 200) although my 200 IM was decent. You?

30/08/2012 at 12:42 pm

Good Heavens! Exactly the same as you.

• Annette Mickelson

30/08/2012 at 2:06 pm

Coffee and swimming in common… oh, and poetry writing. No wonder I like you so much!

30/08/2012 at 2:17 pm

Ditto, you wonderful woman, you!

• The Happy Amateur

30/08/2012 at 11:10 am

This is wonderful, Annette. I’d love to see my kids do the same, they’ve enjoyed the pool a lot this summer.
      P.S. I am so glad I wasn’t the only one who paid attention to the hairy legs :-)

7. viv blake

30/08/2012 at 9:05 am

I got there in the end, with a few paltry senryu. The problem was that the pictures were too absorbing! http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/perspective/

30/08/2012 at 9:08 am

ViV, I know! Each time I go back, for whatever reason, I find myself looking at all of them. On my way.

02/09/2012 at 4:56 pm

02/09/2012 at 5:50 pm

First your poem, Misky, then pizza!