Friday Freeforall Fray

17 Aug

8:07 a.m. and bopping to Seals and Crofts in Atlanta

Need I say more? Hello, everyone. Our list is growing. I worry that it will become burdensome to read through. I may, next week, drop a few sites that I know everyone goes to anyway, and see if there is a clamour. If there is for any one site, I’ll put it back in. Okay? Here are our choices for a weekend of play:

Donna and The Poetry Mixtape  give us a Laura Dixon poem. The poem is one of those that make me go ‘Ohhh!’ about a third of the way through and slow down my reading. Head over and, as Donna says, ‘rearrange some furniture’. As with all Saturday prompts, the new prompt will be up tomorrow, or you can wait for next Friday!

Joseph Harker gives us Reverie Thirty-two: elsewheres where we are told what we’re going to do is basically a travelogue poem moving around the map. The trick is to defy reality: I have notes all over the place and I know this will turn into a poem. When? Ah well… Visit and read Joseph’s thoughts on this, as well as his suggestions. Wander around while there. Visiting Joseph’s blog is like visiting him as he sits sipping coffee in his cafe. Join him for a cup.

Over at The Music In It: Adele Kenny’s Poetry Blog, in a bit of serendipity, Adele talks about journey poems. I find it often helps me into a poem when I have two very different perspectives on similar topics, such as Joseph’s and Adele’s. She offers, as always, many approaches. Adele’s prompts are always more than the sum of their parts. To read all the possibilities, and to be given links to corresponding poetry, visit.

Poetic Bloomings wants us to think of our childhood homes. Visit to read what our hosts say and to read their poems in response to the prompt. You might look around and check out their latest in-form prompt, and their interview .

At The Sunday Whirl, Brenda and The Whirl give us our words from a poem by Allison Adelle Hedge Coke. Visit to see the wordle and to read what others have done.

Carry On Tuesday gives us a line from one of the songs from The Sound of Music. For the line and a link to a video clip head on over.

It is time for Limerick-off Mondays. Limericks are fun; good limericks are addictive. Go to Mad Kane’s Humor Blog. Look around while you are there. She calls it a humour blog for a reason. Go for the laugh. It’s healthy. It doesn’t much matter if you don’t want to write a limerick; reading them brightens a day. Fact.

Visit Magpie Tales for our image prompt, a photograph by Francesca Woodman. I was so fascinated by the image, I stopped for a few minutes to read her Wikipedia entry. I am even more fascinated.

Mary M. at Poetry Jam tells us to play games. Talk about a fun reminiscence. When I finish this and reward myself with coffee, I shall think of childhood games… London Bridge is Falling Down; Clue; Blind Man’s Bluff; tag; skipping rope; Gin Rummy…

For a different type of prompt, visit Elizabeth’s new venture, Musical Notes. I will give you the general blog URL, as the new song will go up every Tuesday, and your response can be posted Thursday. You will need to remember that, but I will leave this in as a continued reminder. This one is fun to play and tinker with, not only because the inspiration is a song, but because the response must be done in 15 words. Sounds fun, doesn’t it? Show up next Tuesday!

For you alliterationists out there, visit ABC Wednesday. This week we have a selection of photographs of Olympic winners. I may never grow tired of Mo Farah’s face.

The three words for Three Word Wednesday are beat, pressure, and substance. You might try writing down the first thoughts that come into your head as you read these words, before you go on to visit the site for their definitions. TWW has a particularly good source and I often get ideas from the definitions rather than the given words.

Wonder Wednesday gives us a photograph of a tree, a graceful tree that appears to be in the middle of a dance. Visit to study its performance.

Over at imaginary garden with real toads, we have a treat from Kerry. Two treats, really. We get to watch Margaret Atwood; then, if we wish, we can try out a similar thing to what she reads to us. Point of view is an important part of our techniques. This exercise is all about that. Mary K. in her Mixed Bag suggests a visit to the neighbourhood that is strongest in our minds. Yep, more serendipity. Visit to find out more and to wander through the gardens. Go play with the toads.

We Write Poems says, in part, Find yourself a favorite spot, maybe one that evokes deep memory or inspires imagination, then take off your shoes and socks… Yes, you are going to have to visit for the what next.

At Poets United, Ella introduces dreamcatchers [for those who have not heard of them]. Visit and read what else Ella says.

dVerse is open. Visit to see what the specials are this week. Head to the Bar and read the prompts. Stay awhile; it’s such a friendly place. I think they have Irish Coffee on offer this week.

Patricia K. Lichen, Author, in her Weekend Haiku & Limericks gives us several options to use as resources. All you frog people [I know you're out there], did you know about the Global Amphibian Blitz?  An interesting possibility, Patricia suggests, is to look at the comments and pull a poem from them. Visit for the possibilities and because it’s fun to wander through the site.

Flash fiction fans: I’m going to give you the link to the general site of Flashy Fiction, rather than always giving you Friday, as you might come to the site on a different day, thus be offered a different image. Pot luck. Remember that we often get a possible direction along with the image.

The final posting is for Trifecta, I have given you the link to the Instructions page. They have an interesting shtick. Visit and find out what.

If you have questions, ask. If you write in response to any of these, the people whose blogs you visit would love to read your responses. So, post!

Your Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts is back. This means if you have something you want announced: publication of your work [because you are shy about saying anything on your blog, or because you need us to buy your book!], an article you think we will enjoy, or find interesting, a writing contest, a workshop… anything to do with writing, really, send it along. If it is time sensitive, be sure and tell me. You can give me your announcements either in the comments section, or email me: margoroby@gmail.com.

The other use for Thursdays is to discuss an aspect of writing that you want to discuss, or know about. Send topics, or questions!

I shall see you next Tuesday for a warm-up Tryout; next Thursday for a serendipity of possibilities; and next Friday for the Roundup.

Happy writing, everyone.

P.S. You will find duplicates this week on my new Page. Everything will be in place next week.

Posted by on 17/08/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

30 responses to “Friday Freeforall Fray

1. brenda w

17/08/2012 at 9:47 am

You rock, Margo Roby! I appreciate this list. The Whirl is getting big, and if you need to drop something, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings in the least. We’ll always have writers posting.

17/08/2012 at 9:51 am

Bless you, Brenda. I’ll keep that in mind, although I admit my vision is holding fast to the sites whose owners I ‘know’. Hmmm. maybe I’ll do a revolving door kind of thing. I’d better write that down :D

• barbara_

17/08/2012 at 10:48 am

Maybe just a name and link for the ones like the Whirl and Magpie that are pretty straightforward, once-a-week goodies that don’t need a lot of explanation. It might work to make a Page entry for each of the regulars and link to that. That could be useful for the quirky ones like Trifecta, or the ones that host a cycle like dVerse.

17/08/2012 at 11:17 am

Clever woman. Thank you, Barbara. A Page, huh. That means I have to be tech intelligent. Okay, I’ll haul out the help page.

• barbara_

17/08/2012 at 12:38 pm

Chuckle. Piece of cake. They’re pretty much like posts, but don’t move around. Like the reference section of a library. You just make some shelf room, and the thing stays there.
            To keep it neat, you can make a Page called something like “Prompt Sites Are Fun” or some such. That would be like the Roman Numeral section of an outline. Then each blog’s page would be nested under that “Parent”. ( like the A, B, C etc of the outline).
            On the menu, up there with your About and all, a sub page like that would show up when the cursor hovers over the “Parent” page. I’m too lazy to follow through, but if you look at the menu on my site, you can see what I started doing.

17/08/2012 at 1:28 pm

That almost makes sense. The analogy to an outline helps a lot. I shall go stare at yours.

‘Piece of cake.’ You don’t know with what you are dealing here. Now, I’m chuckling.

17/08/2012 at 1:36 pm

Good grief! So cool! I just hopped over from your blog. I love the pages. It helps that you are artistic and have illustrations, but that’s okay. I’ll survive. If I disappear, I’m somewhere wielding WordPress pages.

2. markwindham

17/08/2012 at 11:47 am

Solicited opinion time. :) I like this one in its first draft (which won Trifecta this week BTW), but wondering it I overdid it with a certain vowel (perhaps two). The 1st line of the last stanza was the 1st that came to me, it set the tone for the rest.
    When (if) you have time. Thanks Teach (just dying to put 5 exclamation points here).

17/08/2012 at 12:34 pm

Yep! I’ll wander over today, if I stay awake, otherwise tomorrow. Hey! I’m aging :D.

The temptation to exclaim is strong, isn’t it? Grammatically, and considering your tone when saying ‘Thanks Teach,’ I think five may be permitted ;D;D;D.

Oh! [she exclaimed] I distracted myself by wandering over now:

Interesting that you say the first line of the last stanza came to you first. I finished the poem and the first thing I wanted to do was to switch the last stanza and the first. The second thing is to shift it to present tense which gives it a whole new tone, more immediate, perhaps stronger. It depends on the reaction you are going for. The thing about which you ask [I do notice I am giving unsolicited opinions] is fine if you do mean vowels and not the pesky consonants in this line: fed
      foul food and forgotten,

I think four Fs distracts, even if only for a moment. The word I would replace is ‘foul’.

Alright, I’m getting in the right mind set. Bring on the Wordle words.

• markwindham

17/08/2012 at 12:54 pm

:-) I love the unsolicited too, take all I can get. And if you just need to get in the mood, well, there are several weeks worth of postings you can go through. ;)
        The ‘o’s (couple of ‘i’s) were the part in question. I thought it fit the mood, but there are a lot. and yes, that one line is a bit much with the ‘f’s. hmm, was that an adjective you suggested dropping? what was I thinking. :)
        thanks as always.

17/08/2012 at 1:30 pm

Oh, wow, an adjective? My, my. Imagine that. ;-)

I rarely find an overage of vowels is a problem. Have you read Poe’s poem ‘Bells’? He uses vowels to represent the metal and sound of each type of bell. Wow.

• markwindham

17/08/2012 at 12:57 pm

and I do like the switch to present. Have to work on that, I often (predominantly) use past.

Switching the stanza does work…might require a change to the closing though…

17/08/2012 at 1:31 pm

Two things I learned to check automatically are the tense and the point of view.

Back into the trenches!

3. The Happy Amateur

17/08/2012 at 12:14 pm

Thank you for leading me to the article about Francesca Woodman. I don’t believe I’ve seen her work before. I’m fascinated by black-and-white photography. This woman was so talented. My goodness, she was only 22 when she took her life.

17/08/2012 at 12:36 pm

Sasha, I think black and white photography is still preferred by most serious photographers, especially artistic ones. Although I saw some photographs from the Olympics that are stunning and need the colour. can you imagine what Woodman could have done had she been able to hang on?

• The Happy Amateur

17/08/2012 at 1:42 pm

I know…there’s a strong sense of doom about her art, though. Apparently, she was very troubled and needed some serious help. Sad.

17/08/2012 at 1:45 pm

Just quickly looking at her work, she seems to be trying to escape herself. It is sad anyway, but to have so much talent and be lost. Reminds me a little of Amy Winehouse. That’s a good word you use, doomed.

4. Madeleine Begun Kane

17/08/2012 at 3:39 pm

It’s so nice of you to put this list together each week. I know it’s a lot of work! And I always appreciate your include me. :) Thanks!

17/08/2012 at 3:42 pm

I never mind the work, Madeleine. It’s fun to visit all of you.

5. Music&Meaning

17/08/2012 at 10:46 pm

margo: more magic in the land of poetry… thanks (as always) for sharing… eric

18/08/2012 at 11:01 am

Eric, I have just been spending time over at your place. Talk about magic. So many new paths to follow, as well as familiar ones.

6. sorrygnat

19/08/2012 at 12:08 am

i haven’t participated; overloaded, but check in anyhow – I remember Seals and Crofts starting out in LA – they are Baha’is; I think Jimmy’s real sick right now; wonderful – i had all their records; they played for a lot of Baha’i gatherings – Danny Seals made it on his own too; great; he passed a year or so ago; love these guys. Dash Crofts sings an incredible Our Father!

19/08/2012 at 9:38 am

Esther, I know how that goes. I’m happy that you check in. I love everything Seals and Crofts, and then Dan Seals sang. I’ll check online for the ‘Our Father’. Remember to give yourself five minute breaks here and there.

7. anl4

19/08/2012 at 10:14 am

It is amazing how many prompts there are!! Wow!

19/08/2012 at 10:19 am

anl4, I know! And, I haven’t even gone around and looked for possible new ones, in a while. Now that I have set up a static page, I may look around.

8. Daydreamertoo

19/08/2012 at 12:00 pm

Thank you for the visit Margo, appreciated.. :)

21/08/2012 at 1:10 pm

Thank you always, Margo!!! You’re great! And yes those exclamation points were felt for reals! ;)

21/08/2012 at 1:43 pm

I can hear you. You are exclaiming :-)