Your Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts

31 May

Well, hi there, everyone. We have a grab bag of stuff today.

1] A little love for WordPress, by way of Amy Barlow Liberatore, at Sharp Little Pencil:

Quick note:  I’ve been quite vocal (well, I AM an activist, right?) about the “auto-check” option that WordPress foisted on us without notice, flooding our (and our followers’) email boxes because “Keep me posted on follow-up comments via email” was now automatically checked. Complaints flew this way and that; I posted a series, including a “fix” for the “glitch.”

Apparently, many WordPress followers made their voices heard, and together (go, WPbloggers) we AFFECTED CHANGE. This was a wonderful, peaceful activist movement.  Y’ALL DID IT AND Y’ALL ROCK!  Next time you feel a call to action, take it.  You’ll be amazed at what happens.  As Margaret Mead said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.”  Amen, ma’am.

Me, here. Things do happen, if we make noise.

2] I am tossing around a possible summer format for the Tuesday Tryouts. The following came about through a conversation with Hannah. Next Tuesday, I will post a list of enough prompts to take us through August. You get to see what is in the mix ahead of time. If you are traveling, you can pick and choose which exercises you want to do and write and post when you are able.

It doesn’t matter what poem in response to which exercise is posted when. You might mention which exercise your poem is in response to. I will repeat the list each Tuesday, with a focus on one of the prompts. You may post your poems whenever you like. If you have written an acrostic, and that week I have focused on cinquains, don’t fret, post. If I have already offered an acrostic focus, post there, whatever makes your life easier, for the summer [after that all bets are off, again]. Because it is summer [for most of us] and many of us are moving about, I will be delving into past exercises and repeating the light and easy ones, but adding a twist — we can’t have things that easy.

Does this make some kind of sense? Do tell me what you think I am saying, as that is often not what I mean to say!

3] Cool apps to play with — check these out: Sticky Notes. Google it and you can find applications for the ipad, android, windows 7, mac… If you want to see what it looks like and missed Barbara’s post, go here. I have used it and it is fast and easy. Skitch. This is an annotation application, which makes my heart go pitty-pat. I have found it for the android, mac, and ipad. Google it. Last, is a text layout tool. Check Hannah‘s go at it. Some of your security programs might squawk, but it is clean. I am cavalierly sending you off to Google for the first two, because I don’t know what platform you will want it for, if you do want it.

4] As you all know, there are a ton of articles posted on creativity, writer’s block, and accessing your inner whatever. I am giving this link because I thought the article particularly interesting. One of my side interests is anything to do with brain studies [you can tell?]. The posting ‘Four Ways to Hack into Your Mind‘ comes at creativity based on recent brain studies. When I checked the link a second time, the blog Write to Done appears to be having connection problems. I have left this in anyway, in the hopes the problem clears up. If not, I’ll repost later.

5] Check out a posting from The Rag Tree on supporting our local poets.

6] Finally, check out the Underground New York Public Library. Way cool and great fun.

Have fun with these. I may pull Thursdays for the next three months — something has to go on holiday. However, if you have an announcement you want, or need, to get out to the group, let me know. I’ll work it.

See you tomorrow for the roundup of prompts; next Tuesday for… well, it depends what you say in comments on the proposed, possible, summer format; and next Friday for the Freeforall, again.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 31/05/2012 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

32 responses to “Your Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts

1. whimsygizmo

31/05/2012 at 9:51 am

Summer Tuesdays sounds perfect for my schedule, Margo. Serendipitous and breezy. With a margarita on top. Mmmmmm. Let’s crush some ice and write some poems.

31/05/2012 at 9:55 am

de, I do love the way you think. I have learned the important information that we should only use silver or blanco tequila for the best margaritas. I also have the recipe from Jimmy Buffett’s place in Las Vegas. Oh, yes, and poems.

Sounding good.

• whimsygizmo

31/05/2012 at 10:10 am

Ha. I’m IN Vegas, and have been to Buffett’s. Delish. We could alternate. One day silver, the next day blanco. Silver goes well with blanco page. Blanco goes well with silver pen. All go well with mermaid muse (sometimes if I get her buzzed enough, she spills.) ;)

• whimsygizmo

31/05/2012 at 10:20 am

Spills = Words. Not margaritas. Cuz that would just be sad.

31/05/2012 at 10:37 am

I have never tried the, er, benefits[?] of trying my muse on the joy juice. *Adds note to long list*

31/05/2012 at 10:32 am

de, So poetic: ‘Silver goes well with blanco page. Blanco goes well with silver pen.’ ‘Ode to Margaritas’

I’m ignoring that you are in Vegas, wretched woman.

• whimsygizmo

31/05/2012 at 10:51 am

We actually live in Henderson, a sweet little suburb, if that helps any. My poor desert bound soul would rather be in Tahoe, though. Or the Oregon Coast.

31/05/2012 at 11:02 am

I want desert AND ocean and i know Henderson… of Henderson.

My son was married in Las Vegas two years ago. I heartily recommend it :-)

• whimsygizmo

31/05/2012 at 11:12 am

Where did they get married? There are some beautiful places here. :)

31/05/2012 at 11:14 am

Caesar’s Palace. They had a fantastic deal. My son and his now wife researched, found it, arranged it… my husband and I showed up. The wedding ceremony was lovely, tiny details were thought of, none of the Palace people seemed like they had done hundreds of these. Everyone had a wonderful sense of humour.

2. Annette Mickelson

31/05/2012 at 10:25 am

I like your summer idea but, then, I do that anyway. I tend to hoard prompts and do them in the order they strike me. I’m sure you’ve noticed that my poems/links/comments sometimes pop up on your very old prompts.
    And I think a margarita is a lovely idea.

31/05/2012 at 10:35 am

Annette, that’s how I work with the prompts I collect. I take such a long time to write poems [except the wordles, which I find quite miraculous].
      Good, you can join us. de and I are prepping for retirement: rocking chairs on a wide wooden porch, the drink of the day, pens, paper, laptops [hey, we aren't going to retire from writing]…

3. Veronica Roth

31/05/2012 at 10:52 am

I don’t mind Margo. I usually stop in your site once a day or two and see what you’re up to. (I’m such a fickle friend.) I’ll be in England and at night/day difference so I’ll just carry on doing my thing.

31/05/2012 at 11:04 am

I love it when they’re easy. Duly noted, Veronica.

I was already jealous because de is within reach of a Jimmy Buffett margarita; now, you are going to England. Ah well :-)

4. Veronica Roth

31/05/2012 at 10:57 am

Margo, that 4 ways to hack…post is fantastic!

31/05/2012 at 11:05 am

Veronica, it is, isn’t it. I loved it.

5. vivinfrance

31/05/2012 at 11:44 am

Sounds great to me. Only I still have your last load of multiple prompts which follow me around the house and are ever quite buried. I promise I will be a good girl and look at them again! BTW I don’t even know what an APP is – maybe guess at something to do with a mobile phone, which I don’t have. Have a good holiday everyone.

31/05/2012 at 12:01 pm

ViV, I have a cluster of Joseph’s prompts which wait for me to glance up and then stare at me accusingly. An APP is an application [its normal definition works]. You don’t have to have a mobile device to use them. If you want to download an app to try, Google it with the computer type you have: Sticky Notes for PC, or Skitch for Mac. and you’ll be taken to sites where you can download it to try.
      See you here and there. Behave yourself, young woman [relatively -- that's the behave not the young]. I want to see you in one piece when we come into autumn.

6. Mary

31/05/2012 at 12:03 pm

Margo, I say whatever works for you is what you should do. And resume the regular Tuesday format in fall.

I am going to suggest a website for you to check out and sign up for. It is StumbleUpon. And you can spend hours with it. It is geared to finding you particular websites based on your own chosen interests. Give it a try and see what I mean:

31/05/2012 at 2:25 pm

Thanks, Mary, for both. If you don’t see me back here tomorrow, you’ll know I was swallowed by stumbleupon.

31/05/2012 at 1:24 pm

Cool photo of the subway readers. I might have been one of them long ago. In and out of Grand Central. And on the Tube from NYC to Jersey City.

As long as we are wishing how about a home with a fresh water river, four seasons…OK maybe three as I could do without a really cold winter with wonderful trees with a walk down to a cottage right on the beach….. I saw a show once where a gals brother actually built her a fairy tale type circular tree home either up a living tree or in the woods, But then I’ve also seen some of those sort of underground off the grid desert homes too…with the water tank that is at least or twice as big as the actual living structure, with their own generators. I’ll take one of each please…

31/05/2012 at 2:26 pm

Sounds good, Jules. I like the four seasons, but with a winter like we get in Atlanta, not like you have in Pennsylvania! A river… nice :-)

• julespaige

31/05/2012 at 3:00 pm

I say a river – I’ve got a creek, but she is muddy. And a river…clear so one can drink of it in several ways. :)

01/06/2012 at 12:29 am

Thank you for linking up my spiral-y poem, Margo!! Very nice surprise! I’m glad it’s sounding like the summer plan will work for you/us and I appreciate all the links to explore in this serendipitous moment!! I’ve just arrived…late to the party, (as usual), and I’m super stoked to see margaritas still tinkling on ice and ink spilled on the patio cushions…the lap-tops gleam into the twilight hours as poets poised process and ponder past reveries and Tuesday tryout rallies….ah yes the life poetic prevails. Pardon my prevalent persisting “P,” I’ve had one too many margaritas!! ;)

01/06/2012 at 7:43 am

So long as you arrive, Hannah!

• Hannah Gosselin

01/06/2012 at 7:53 am

Yes, that’s the important part. Funny thing is…I’m no different in real life either!! Peeps can count on me…but just a hair late. :)’s to you on this beautiful day, Margo!!

01/06/2012 at 8:01 am

I’m always too early. We’ll balance each other. :-) to you too. Our temperatures dropped back to the 70′s!

• Hannah Gosselin

01/06/2012 at 8:14 am

Funny!! We will, one on each side of the spectrum! Thank you, for the smiles and 70 feels pretty nice, kind of the ideal temp, I think!! :)

9. Rosanna

05/06/2012 at 2:47 am

hI Margo,

I’ve been reading your posts for sometime now… you seem to have a very tight knit group. I’ve been wanting to join in, but I’m not sure how… I’m a journalist and a novice poet… would love to be part of a poetry-writing community. I admire the amount of time you spend for the group. :-)

thanks!

05/06/2012 at 7:43 am

Welcome, Rosanna! What a lovely name.

We are a tight knit group because we have been together a while, an because theses are the people who join in, one way or another. That’s the secret. If you wish, you can start with a comment on a post, a question about something I write — I love questions — or jump in with the draft of a poem in response to a prompt. The summer is a good time. People come and go; we aren’t quite as attendant as we are through the rest of the year. The summer prompt list which I will put up today, goes back to some of the lighter exercises I have offered before and can be done in any order.

I will be going dark for a portion of next week, as we start our summer travels, so if I seem to be ignoring a question, or comment, I will get to it.

The time… yes. I work hard to wean myself :-) I have to talk sternly. Otherwise I would never get any writing done!

• Rosanna

06/06/2012 at 2:29 am

Thanks, Margo! I’ll try to inch my way through. I’m from the Philippines and we just finished summer – we’re officially on the rainy season – but I can always pretend it’s still summer!

06/06/2012 at 7:23 am

I lived twenty years in Jakarta and twenty in Hong Kong, Rosanna. I know your seasons well! Pretend away :-)