Playtime: Friday Freeforall

25 May

Hello, everyone. C’mon weekend! To keep you company, a few prompts:

We start with Donna and The Poetry Mixtape, where she introduces us to Kay Ryan, the U.S. poet laureate from 2008-2010. Ryan’s poem, ‘Crown,’ is an example of how much can be said in a short poem. Head over to read the poem and Donna’s suggestions for our own poems.

Joseph Harker gives us Reverie Twenty: taste the rainbow. What a lovely title, although there was a brain cell that said Jim Jones? Cool aid? I have odd brain cells. Some of you will be old enough to remember. The prompt is great fun. I think all of us like playing with colour; it’s almost as good as a box of Crayolas. Go on over and read the prompt.

Over at Adele’s, The Music In It: Adele Kenny’s Poetry Blog we are focusing on the number five. To find out what and why, visit. Adele’s prompts are always more than the sum of their parts. To read all the possibilities, visit.

This week on Poetic Bloomings we are asked to say, Enough! Visit to read what our hosts say and to read their poems in response to the prompt. Do not miss the latest interview with our [if I may] ViV.

Have you whirled? At The Sunday Whirl, Brenda and The Whirl give us our wordle list from three poems. Visit for links to the poems, to see the wordle and to read what others have done. The Everest climbers from Montana made the summit twelve hours ago! I have followed them since Brenda introduced them last week.

Carry On Tuesday has come roaring back. I told Keith he needs to nudge every now and then. This week, the line is the last in Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With the Wind. Head over to read the line and for a link to other quotes from the novel.

Go to Mad Kane’s Humor Blog for her Limerick-off Mondays and a lot more besides. If she ever runs out of topics I shall go into mourning. She calls it a humour blog for a reason. Go for the laugh. It’s healthy. It doesn’t much matter if you don’t want to write a limerick; reading them brightens a day. Fact.

Visit Magpie Tales for our image prompt. We are given a Chagall, with a few possibilities. We can write about the entire scene, do a portrait poem of one of the people, focus only on the foreground, only the background, the title… Head over to see what we have.

Shawna, over at rosemary mint, has her word list up. She has taken her list from an encyclopedic entry on butterflies. Shawna always has stunning images to accompany her posts. Visit!

Poetry Jam provides us with a prompt from Mary. She asks us to focus on bullies and bullying. It might be interesting to do an internal monologue from the perspective of the bullied and the bully. Head over to read what she says on this relevant topic. She has a link to the trailer for the recently released movie.

For you alliterationists out there, visit ABC Wednesday. The introduction of this week’s letter involves a photograph. I was going through reading signs when I remembered I had left you all here.

The three words this week for Three Word Wednesday are flesh, novice, and sear. Often, the challenge is to not use the words in an obvious way. You might try writing down the first thoughts that come into your head as you read these words, before you go on to visit the site for their definitions. They have a particularly good source and I often get ideas from the definitions rather than the given words.

Over at imaginary garden with real toads we have Ella’s Edge where she taunts us with gorgeous photographs of food. The prompt? I have no idea; I am busy salivating. Go on over to find out why. Check the rest of the week too. Go play with the toads.

We Write Poems gives us a prompt whose title suggests we get real. The premise is interesting. Head over to read the rest.

At Poets United, we are asked to consider honour. For the rest of the prompt, head over.

At dVerse’s Meeting the Bar we have an interesting essay and prompt on stream of consciousness writing. This of value to all of us, even if just to practice freewriting, good for what ails you when the ideas dry up. As always, explore the pub while you are there. They offer so much on their menu. You might find several of us propping up the bar. They make us feel so welcome. This was posted yesterday. Already there are 78 comments.

Patricia K. Lichen, Author, in her Weekend Haiku & Limericks gives us several options to use as resources. ‘Elephants and goodbyes’ anyone? Visit for the possibilities and because it’s fun to wander through the site.

Flash fiction fans: I’m going to give you the link to the general site of Flashy Fiction, rather than always giving you Friday, as you might come to the site on a different day, thus be offered a different image. Pot luck. Remember that we often get a possible direction along with the image.

The final posting is for Trifecta, I have given you the link to the Instructions page. They have an interesting shtick. Visit and find out what.

If you have questions, ask. If you write in response to any of these, the people whose blogs you visit would love to read your responses. So, post!

Remember: If you have a topic you want me to discuss, tell me. I’ll take on just about anything and if it’s beyond me, I’ll find sources. What niggles? What have you wanted to ask, or know? If you have an announcement you want posted, send it along for Your Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts.

I shall see you next Tuesday for an image prompt; Thursday for announcements, or a topic [send them in if you have any]; and next Friday for the roundup.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 25/05/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 responses to “Playtime: Friday Freeforall

1. whimsygizmo

25/05/2012 at 9:30 am

Good morning, Margo. :) I absolutely love looking over this list now, and realizing I’ve written to the majority of these this past week. What fun. Haven’t been to Joseph’s yet this week, but you make it sound doable. (Shall see later if HE makes it sound doable.) ;)

Bloody marys this morning, perhaps? I’ll get the celery.

25/05/2012 at 9:35 am

Talking my language, de. I love bloody marys. Note what I dealt with first :-)

Joseph does make it sound doable. The prompt is like some of the earlier ones, where if you follow step by step, no problem. The playing with colour is literal!

25/05/2012 at 9:36 am

I’ll bring the vodka and the Worcestershire. There is never enough Worcestershire.

• whimsygizmo

25/05/2012 at 9:58 am

Or Tabasco. LOTS of Tabasco.

25/05/2012 at 10:07 am

Ooooh Yes. Oh, and I suppose the tomato juice.

• whimsygizmo

25/05/2012 at 10:17 am

Ooopsie. Yes. Or maybe we can skip that part? Seems inconsequential…vodka, Worcestershire, Tabasco, lots of pepper, celery…Yep. I think we’re good. ;)

25/05/2012 at 10:46 am

If we ever get together, we are going to be dangerous women!:-)

• whimsygizmo

25/05/2012 at 2:37 pm

Women who behave rarely make history. I’d rather be interesting, any day. ;)

25/05/2012 at 2:38 pm

I don’t think that’s going to be a problem, de. ;-)

2. Veronica Roth

25/05/2012 at 10:04 am

I’m afraid I’ve developed a slight addiction to the flashy fiction site. I try to post something every two days or so…I’d love to every day if time permitted. Anyway, it’s a bit pot luck for me. I don’t often get to the prompts till the evening and after I post I sometimes don’t get a reply (cause evening I suppose). How are these games played Margo? Do people post on that particular site or do they post on their own site with links, do they post in the mornings only for a reply, do they post and link like crazy to build an audience? I’ve been writing my blog for a couple-3 yrs now and didn’t really consider this guesting/replying/challenge writing thing before. I’m also terribly spontaneous and so can’t really be bothered with scheduling prime time posts. I’m not trying to sell anything, get audience, specialise or find content to fill my blog with. Bah…probably doing it all wrong.

25/05/2012 at 11:02 am

Veronica, you are not going to be thrilled with the answer: it depends. First, where. Almost every site is set up so that you post on your blog, and leave the link either in their comments, or using the Mr. Linkey, if they have one set up. I think we all accept pieces in the comments if someone prefers not to post it on their blog, for some reason.

Several blogs are set up for a specific day. We Write Poems opens for poems on Wednesdays, but will take poems for a few days after. Most sites will. My site is open from the moment I post the prompt, until someone gets around to posting [I think I have it set to a two month window]. That’s not practical for the high traffic blogs.

Comments back all depend on the life of the person. Joseph, who must not have a single second when he is not in the middle of something, tries to get to comments once a week. He’s a little behind, but I think one can say, Joseph! Answer me! if one needs an answer to something. I am not sure how the big blogs can even begin to respond to comments, as they have seventy, eighty, ninety people leaving things. Can you imagine? Time of day and place in the world is a factor.

Most of my group doesn’t care about followers. They are looking for community.

I know some of the people at Flashy Fiction, if you want me to ask them these things. Whatever, you aren’t doing it wrong, although I love the ‘Bah!’ Nice mug, too. Mine is in a cupboard but I raised my current mug to you.

If I missed something, ask again.

• Veronica Roth

25/05/2012 at 11:16 am

Thanks for that Margo; it seems like loads to explore. Right…well…I’ll just keep muddling thru then. But this morning I’ll just have to have one of those drinks with you and De. Only make mine a Cesar because I’m Canadian and we have clamato juice here! (and then I’ll go write about Alice in Wonderland on Flashy fiction, ha…vodka should help)

25/05/2012 at 11:19 am

You are welcome, Veronica. You’ll find the community an easy one to settle into.

A clamato mary. Nice. de and I will have to give it a try. Good luck.

• Veronica Roth

25/05/2012 at 1:11 pm

Gave the Joseph Harker prompt a try and linked back to you. Thanks, that was fun.

25/05/2012 at 2:04 pm

Veronica, I’m glad. I’ll wander over and look.

• whimsygizmo

25/05/2012 at 2:42 pm

Sounds fantastic, Veronica. If my toes can’t have ocean yet, at least my tongue can.

• whimsygizmo

25/05/2012 at 2:41 pm

Veronica, I can only speak for my own Flashy Fiction prompts, but even when I don’t have time to write to my own prompt, I make it a point to read everyone’s writings for it, and to comment. Sometimes I’m slow on the uptake in getting back there (I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get that site to go to my email inbox, like I can with so many others, like Margo’s)…but I always try to make it a priority. I’m sorry if this isn’t common curtesy with all of the “prompters.” That’s frustrating. The site is in need of an influx of readers, that’s for sure.

I’m so happy it is helping you get some writing done, and “addiction” to anything in writing is a very, very good thing, in my book. Keep writing, keep posting. I’ll try to get over more often, to read yours for other days besides my every-other Sunday. I really enjoy your work, as you know. May’s been nuts. Hoping June will be kinder, by way of reading time. :)

• whimsygizmo

25/05/2012 at 2:49 pm

PS: I just headed over, and caught your last one I’d missed, Veronica. And also noticed that of the past 5 days’ prompts, most of them have 0 writings. See what I mean about needing some love? If you think it’s frustrating leaving a piece and not getting feedback…taking the time to work on a fun prompt and having no one write to it is not fun. This site could use some life; that’s for sure!

THANK YOU, Margo, for including it in your Friday Freeforall. :)

• whimsygizmo

26/05/2012 at 12:24 pm

Veronica, I wanted to add that truly the very best advice I can give on this after a couple of years of playing around in this world is to get out there and COMMENT. Find some writers you love, become their loyal followers, and comment like crazy. You’d be surprised how often this comes back your way.

3. Mama Zen

25/05/2012 at 10:11 am

Thank you for all of the great links!

25/05/2012 at 11:03 am

Thank you, Mama Zen. So good to see you.