Prompt Week: Friday Freeforall

04 May

Hello, everyone. Are you recovering, poem-a-dayers? Now you can go back to trying to write for all the lovely prompts out there!

We start with Donna and The Poetry Mixtape, where she introduces us to Rachel Bunting, who needs no introduction to many of us, who feel much as Donna does about her. In the Mixtape she gives us a link to Rachel’s poem ‘The Apiary’. I am still hauling in the emotions let loose by reading it. Head over to read the poem and Donna’s suggestion for our own poems.

Joseph Harker gives us Reverie Seventeen: Correspondences, which talks about the associations of groups with other groups that are real or invented. Patterns. Go on over to read the whole, because you know there is a whole lot more to it.

Over at Adele’s, The Music In It: Adele Kenny’s Poetry Blog the prompt ends with: Look through a “window” (real, imagined, symbolic, metaphorical, or in a dream) and create a poem. Adele’s prompts are always more than the sum of their parts. To read all the possibilities, visit.

This week on Poetic Bloomings we have several things to do. The prompt suggests we write a seed poem. To know what that refers to, go on over. Then we have a form, the pantoum, one of my all-time favourites. AND, we have a link that takes us to an interview with Marie Elena over at Khara House’s blog. Whew. Visit to read what our hosts say and to read their poems in response to the prompt.

At The Sunday Whirl, Brenda and The Whirl give us our wordle list from Marianne, who takes them from Sylvia Plath’s ‘Blackberrying’. Visit to see the wordle and to read what others have done.

Carry On Tuesday gives us the opening line to a Byron poem. To read the line and the poem, visit Keith, who is back from his travels.

Go to Mad Kane’s Humor Blog for her Limerick-off Mondays and a lot more besides. She calls it a humour blog for a reason. Go for the laugh. It’s healthy. It doesn’t much matter if you don’t want to write a limerick; reading them brightens a day. Fact.

Visit Magpie Tales for our image prompt. I spent some time with this image, first deciding he is, in fact, naked, then wondering what book he might be reading… hey! it’s early. I haven’t had my second cup. Head over to see what we have.

Shawna, over at rosemary mint, has her word list up.

Poetry Jam provides us with a prompt from Mary, this week. She wants us to write an Everybody knows… poem. She offers the treat of listening to Leonard Cohen on the topic, so head over to read the prompt.

For you alliterationists out there, visit ABC Wednesday. The introduction gives us a link to four songs we baby boomers can feel nostalgic about. The rest of you, enjoy. Head over to look.

The three words this week for Three Word Wednesday are generous, just, and penalise. Remember that it’s all about the three words working together. You might try writing down the first thoughts that come into your head as you read these words, before you go on to visit the site for their definitions. They have a particularly good source and I often get ideas from the definitions rather than the given words.

Over at imaginary garden with real toads we get two for one visit. First, we have Kerry’s Wednesday Challenge which asks us to think about roads. She provides us with several quotes and some stunning images to kickstart our thinking. We also have Marian who asks us to give tribute to Levon Helms, who just died. For those who don’t know his work, head over for an example, then Google for more. I have ‘Up On Cripple Creek’ in my every day play list. Visit to read the prompts. Check the rest of the week too. Go play with the toads.

We Write Poems wants us to Allow “nothing much” to be more than enough. They suggest a break this week. Visit to see what it’s about, but if you don’t, they’ll be back next week.

At Poets United, we are asked to consider wishes. For the rest of the prompt, and some wonderful photographs to start us, head over.

Over at dVerse their Form For All introduces us to the Clarian Sonnet. If you have never heard of one, then head over. As always, explore the pub while you are there. They offer so much on their menu.

Over at Patricia K. Lichen, Author her Weekend Haiku & Limericks gives us four options to use as resources, among which is The Shining. Now, that might be fun. By the time you visit, this week’s blog may have turned over, so check.  Visit for the possibilities and because it’s fun to wander through the site.

Flash fiction fans: I’m going to give you the link to the general site of Flashy Fiction, rather than always giving you Friday, as you might come to the site on a different day, thus be offered a different image. Pot luck. Remember that we often get a possible direction along with the image.

The final posting is for Trifecta, I have given you the link to the Instructions page. They have an interesting shtick. Visit and find out what.

If you have questions, ask. If you write in response to any of these, the people whose blogs you visit would love to read your responses. So, post!

Remember: If you have a topic you want me to discuss, tell me. I’ll take on just about anything and if it’s beyond me, I’ll find sources. What niggles? What have you wanted to ask, or know? If you have an announcement you want posted, send it along for Your Serendipity @ Thursday Thoughts.

I shall see you next Tuesday for a form [oh yes, I am back]; Thursday for announcements, or a topic [send them in if you have any]; and next Friday for the roundup.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 04/05/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 responses to “Prompt Week: Friday Freeforall

• Shawna

04/05/2012 at 2:52 pm

It is fondant. :)

04/05/2012 at 2:54 pm

Hey! I don’t get any fondant? You use me and toss me away… weep…

• Shawna

04/05/2012 at 3:08 pm

You ARE fondant. Delicious and colorful. ;) Who will write a poem about actual fondant? Now I want cake.

Thank you, Miss Margo. :)

P.S. I find fondant to be excellent tissue matter, in a pinch.

• Yousei Hime

04/05/2012 at 3:12 pm

It is blatantly obvious that I am dieting and suffering if these comments make me this hungry. ;) Chocolate, caramel, strawberries, bananas….sweet death dripping

• Shawna

04/05/2012 at 3:27 pm

Ha ha ha! Those last three words are certainly the beginning of a new poem.

04/05/2012 at 3:17 pm

Well. Okay. In THAT case. I rather like being fondant :-)

• Shawna

04/05/2012 at 3:28 pm

Who doesn’t?! Unless we’re talking about fondant thighs (which we are not). No one wants those. :)

1. margo roby

04/05/2012 at 3:20 pm

Good Heavens, Yousei. We’re going to have to hose you down. Find one bite of something sweet. You’ll be surprised. That will do it.

Shawna, I’m not sure why my comment to you isn’t threading properly. Once I post this comment, the wretched thing probably will!

2. margo roby

04/05/2012 at 3:21 pm

I’m an idiot, while at the same time being colourful and delicious. My response to you, Shawna, threaded just fine. It comes after Yousei, because hers is a response to you.

3. Yousei Hime

04/05/2012 at 3:22 pm

Cooled off now. ;) Question. Anyone else having a sudden onrush of notifications for comments other than on your own blog? Any ideas for how to turn off those emails?

04/05/2012 at 3:27 pm

Somewhere in your settings, Yousei. That’s kind of vague and I’ll try and track it, but start there. Although, if it’s comments from other blogs, I think it has to do with whether or not you are subscribed to comments on said blogs. I haven’t figured out how not to be. I quickly skim my inbox looking for names on the comments. If they aren’t the blog owner, I delete. I try and put people’s names near the beginning of comments. If it’s the blog owner I check to see if it’s a response to me.

Oh. I’ll bet when we tick for getting replies back to our comments, that subscribes us.

• Yousei Hime

04/05/2012 at 3:32 pm

No, it’s comments from your blog and New View From Here. It just started this afternoon. I have also been getting notices to my own blog, which although a little annoying, is good because sometimes I miss them. I certainly don’t want to read every comment on every blog that I’ve commented on. I went looking in settings but can’t find it yet. I haven’t subscribed to comments so I’m not sure what is going on. How do you “tick” for getting replies to comments.

04/05/2012 at 3:40 pm

That’s odd, Yousei. The only comments have been you, me, and Shawna writing to each other. Maybe a couple of others.

Below the comment box, you should see a tiny box, labeled: Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

I tick it when I leave a comment that might get a response.

• Yousei Hime

04/05/2012 at 3:53 pm

Ok…that experience was definitely not fondant. I think I figured it out. I ended up going to WP support and ferreting out comment settings page. I unsubscribed to over sixteen posts. I only remember actually subscribing to 3 or so. I definitely did not subscribe to any today. We’ll see if I’m conscripted again (right word?). I like the new feature in the bar that notifies you of responses to comments and there is always the standby “comments I’ve made” in the home page menu. No more emails though. I’ve followed too many blogs as is and am behind in reading. *guilt, guilt* Calls for more chocolate. ;)

04/05/2012 at 4:42 pm

Conscripted is good. Shanghaied even. You make a good point that having the little red alert box does take the need out of emails. Hmmm. I think I shall visit my settings. Thank you for being the pioneer!

4. Yousei Hime

04/05/2012 at 3:53 pm

Ah! I just noticed that your “Notify me of follow-up…” is automatically checked. I’ll have to watch out for that then.

04/05/2012 at 4:43 pm

Yes, it is. I wonder if it always is, or if it’s when I’m having a conversation.

• Yousei Hime

04/05/2012 at 7:29 pm

I’ve commented here before, as you know. This is a first for me. Either I tripped up something on my settings, or WP is tinkering around without telling anyone. I suppose it could be bad fondant…nah, no such thing.

04/05/2012 at 5:38 pm

Margo, please pop over to http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2012/05/04/april-showers-bring-may-liebster-awards/ and have a read. Thanks! :D

04/05/2012 at 5:47 pm

Misky, I am honoured. Usually I have a non-acceptance policy on awards because they take up too much time, but this looks like a user friendly award :-) Thank you for the award.

• Misky

04/05/2012 at 6:24 pm

You are entirely welcome, and it’s well deserved. :)

6. Sarah

05/05/2012 at 6:11 pm

Margo, looks like you’re in the public eye today! Check out today’s ‘who, me?’ post – you have been nominated by me for Liebster Award!!