One Announcement, One Wordle Poem

22 Apr

Hello to everyone. I forgot to add to my Friday roundup, the reminder of an announcement I made a couple of weeks ago. Fiona Robyn, of the site Writing Our Way Home, is celebrating the publication of her novel, The Most Beautiful Thing with, among other things, a blogsplash where she asks us to post our most beautiful thing, this coming Tuesday, the 24th of April. You can find all the information here. I have had an enjoyable few days, settling on the what and how.

Now, today’s wordle response. I had a tough time with these words, but as this is celebrating The Sunday Whirl’s birthday, was determined to put up something.

Surfaces

On the wall hangs an exquisite art piece, a tiny origami dragon set within glittered spangling, an abstract coda, known only to its artist. When the sun hits it, the colours shimmy and dust motes become ethereal in the light.

a cacophony
of aches, her heart is shelved, put
away to ferment

Visit Brenda, The Sunday Whirl, and the anniversary wordle poems.

I am glad I shall be seeing people on my rounds today, as I am missing the company! Otherwise, I shall see you Friday for the roundup; next Tuesday for a form [oh yes, we're back]; and next Thursday, if there are announcements.

Posted by on 22/04/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

59 responses to “One Announcement, One Wordle Poem

1. Mary

22/04/2012 at 9:35 am

I enjoyed this, Margo. I do think you have written a haibun, a form of poetry that I love. I love the idea that dust motes become ethereal. I will file that thought. A heart shelved might at first seem sad; but then again if it is put away to ferment, it will return rich, full-bodied, and mature. (My perception!)

22/04/2012 at 9:42 am

Thank you, Mary. I have essayed two haibun recently and like the form very much. My first is the poem I am posting Tuesday for the blogsplash. I like your perception.

2. vivinfrance

22/04/2012 at 9:36 am

Your Wordle is one of the most beautiful things I have seen today.

22/04/2012 at 9:43 am

Why, ViV, you touched my heart. Thank you. Nice inclusion of beautiful thing.

• vivinfrance

22/04/2012 at 9:49 am

I couldn’t in all honesty say THE most etc: that has to be reserved for the unrestrained laughter of a three-year-old girl who came visiting this morning. But you came close.

22/04/2012 at 9:54 am

How lovely, ViV. I can almost hear the laughter.

3. anl4

22/04/2012 at 10:21 am

I loved it!!!!! The spangled dragon, known only to the creator, the artist. Well done!

4. Laurie Kolp

22/04/2012 at 10:33 am

This is absolutely beautiful, Margo!!

5. Daydreamertoo

22/04/2012 at 10:44 am

Lovely imagery. It seems most of us thought of origami dragons. :) We poets are so like-minded in many ways ..Such a gentle, thoughtful wrote. Loved it!

22/04/2012 at 2:48 pm

That is one thing I especially like about the wordles, ddt: sometimes we are completely divergent with the same words and other times we all follow the same path.

6. Tilly Bud

22/04/2012 at 12:54 pm

Margo, that’s lovely.

22/04/2012 at 2:49 pm

Thank you, Tilly Bud. Always good to see you.

7. Marianne

22/04/2012 at 1:52 pm

Gorgeous writing, Margo! I love “abstract coda.”

22/04/2012 at 2:49 pm

Thank you, Marianne. I almost had to use coda as a title because it wasn’t working.

8. wordsandthoughtspjs

22/04/2012 at 2:06 pm

Absolutely gorgeous, dear Margo. I would never have known you had trouble with the words.

22/04/2012 at 2:50 pm

Thank you, Pamela. It was the form that solved the problem for me!

9. daphnepurpus

22/04/2012 at 4:39 pm

Very nice indeed! You certainly handled the challenge of difficult words brilliantly!

10. pmwanken

22/04/2012 at 5:44 pm

Beautiful, margo. Love the use of the words in a haibun. A great poem from the dragon lady! ;)

23/04/2012 at 9:29 am

Paula: Imagine flame of gratified fire :-)

11. 1sojournal

22/04/2012 at 6:34 pm

I too, like those closing lines and for the same reasons Mary gave. Love it when the form seems to bring alll those disparate parts together. Wonderful fluid writing,

Elizabeth

23/04/2012 at 9:30 am

Thank you, Elizabeth. I also love it when form and content work together.

12. brenda w

22/04/2012 at 7:13 pm

Margo, this is a fabulous contribution. Your piece is imbued with life, even though it is a “still life.” I love this form, and haven’t tried it yet.

23/04/2012 at 9:31 am

Thank you, Brenda! I wrote my first haibun last week and will be posting it tomorrow. This is my second and I already love the form.

13. Shawna

22/04/2012 at 7:22 pm

Love these parts: “an abstract coda, known only to its artist” and “her heart is shelved”

14. Cheryl's Excellent Adventure

22/04/2012 at 11:07 pm

I love your description of the work of art. It’s beautifully wordled.

15. Mr. Walker

23/04/2012 at 12:42 am

Margo, a lovely haibun. I like “cacophony / of aches”; of course those two wordle words belong together.

Richard

23/04/2012 at 9:33 am

Thank you, Richard. It’s nice isn’t it when the words home in on each other? Copying Brenda’s list down is the first step in the poem’s process.

23/04/2012 at 6:23 am

Yes, I too recognized the haibun. I tried for just a few words but by comparison wrote a book!
    Lovely little gift to read on a morning where I have to rise early for a day full of Son of Son!
    You can find my wordle here:

17. irene

23/04/2012 at 6:57 am

As beautiful as a painting, Margo. An excellent haibun.

18. nan

23/04/2012 at 7:37 am

I have to say, this is my favorite of the group I’ve read. Perfectly put together. Dreamy.

23/04/2012 at 9:34 am

Thanks, Nan. Haibun may supplant pantoum as my favourite form.

19. tmhHoover

23/04/2012 at 3:21 pm

So you color your dust motes ethereal – truly it is the only way to go. And shelving our heart aches while they ferment is a part of the human condition. It is a blessing that there is writing… which calls for just such a thing. I am glad to once again hear reference to the haibun- someday yet I may try this form… or any form.

24/04/2012 at 7:46 am

Teri, forms are fun. Truly. Getting over the threshold is the hardest part. I have known of the haibun for a year and just now tried it. It took me a dozen years to try the ghazal. Oddly, the pantoum I took to immediately.

• tmhHoover

27/04/2012 at 12:27 pm

Ok well that makes me feel a bit better. So maybe I will try one form… ummm in July. xo

27/04/2012 at 1:33 pm

You are on my calendar :D

• tmhHoover

27/04/2012 at 4:30 pm

Hmmm maybe I should come down for a private class and you can witness my sheer terror!

27/04/2012 at 5:09 pm

Heh heh heh…but, Teri, it took me years to try some forms only because the thought of the form terrified me. You are not alone. We are strange, we people with so called rational brains!

• tmhHoover

29/04/2012 at 4:25 pm

;-)

23/04/2012 at 3:27 pm

Stunning hibachibun thingie. Miss you in bushel loads.

• whimsygizmo

23/04/2012 at 3:31 pm

Misky, you are making me hungry. I want whatever a hibachibun is, now. Plus also: sushi.

• Misky

23/04/2012 at 4:27 pm

I’ll be around your neighbourhood in a little white kitchen van in a minute … or three.

24/04/2012 at 7:47 am

Misk, I love hibachibun. I am missing you too. Thank goodness for posting the odd poem so I have some chat with you!

• Misky

24/04/2012 at 9:02 am

I’m quite euphoric at the moment; going to see my Emma and Ethan in mid-May for two weeks. The downside is that it takes 18-hrs on a plane to do it. Oh… my knees…

24/04/2012 at 9:05 am

How lovely and unlovely, Misky! I remember those flights, twice a year for twenty years, door to door [we had to overnight it was so long] 36 hours. We finally looked at each other and said, we are worth the cost, and bought business class!

• Misky

24/04/2012 at 9:22 am

We have a stopover on the way in Seattle. See my family. Then on to Hawaii (Pearl Harbor). It’s a direct flight back to the UK though, so we’re planning to upgrade that leg on the day. Empty Peder’s frequent flyer points. :D

21. whimsygizmo

23/04/2012 at 3:30 pm

Love this gorgeous haibun. This is a form I desperately want to try. Just beautiful. Especially love those ethereal dust motes. Something so small, insignificant, becoming other worldly.

24/04/2012 at 7:50 am

de, it took me a few months to try this and I love the form already. What pushed me over the threshold was my coffee haibun where I knew what I wanted to say and couldn’t fit it into anything until I tried prose. Bingo.

22. Sharp Little Pencil

23/04/2012 at 6:21 pm

Margo, so many dragons, but your line was so unique: “dust motes become etheral in the light.” Truly graceful combination of prose and form! Inventive and lovely. Peace, Amy

24/04/2012 at 7:51 am

Thank you, Amy. As a child, and still now, I watched dust floating in a ray of sun. I find it magical.

23. sweetopiagirl

24/04/2012 at 9:10 pm

Reblogged this on InspiredWeightloss!.