Television Tryouts: Tuesday

10 Apr

7:28 a.m. –Atlanta

Hello, everyone. I hope all is well. Welcome new followers and thank you for joining us in our writing madness. How is everyone holding up with the poems-a-day? I don’t hear a lot of franticness yet.

The result of today’s exercise can serve as a good source for possible future poems or, by itself, be a fun list poem. For those who don’t know him, let me introduce you to Brian of Scotia Nightpoetry, whose poem draft ‘Things I learned from TV this week,’ we are using as our inspiration and example. While looking at his poem, wander around his site a bit. I suggested you prep for this, but if you didn’t, you can start now and post your result later. I also suggested that if you don’t have a television, you pick something similar. A week’s worth of radio might work, as would magazines.

The prompt is in the poem’s title, but, as it might help to have the poem to see some of the things Brian was playing with, I will give you a few lines and the link to the whole poem is above. Then, go to it, looking amongst your notes for patterns you want to follow [or make up -- you can always make up]. The most interesting pattern in Brian’s poem is the one where the speaker states a point and then makes a point about it:

- Exam results are “getting better all the time”
– The answers are given to teachers in advance
– Preparing a 3 course meal is a piece of cake
– I could bake a cake if I wanted to (I don’t)
– News programmes are all doom laden and moronic
– The happy news story at the end is far too short
– Young people drink far too much alcohol
– Alcohol is extremely cheap in all the supermarkets
– It is almost Christmas and I should go shopping
– Advertising is complex and you need a degree to do it
– All advertising, when done really well, is rubbish

Sometimes the two perspectives are from the program, sometimes one perspective is the speaker’s comment on something he has learned. There is no wrong way to do this, although, I suppose, if you end up with a poem that’s not a list, you have put yourself way out there, but, Hey!, you have a poem, and that is what we are ultimately aiming for, poems.

Please note the shortness of the post. I think I have a new record.

I will be dark for the next two weeks [although if someone has an announcement they need to get out there, let me know], except for Fridays. I need time for my own poetry, which gets short shrift these days. See you Friday for the roundup.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 10/04/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

22 responses to “Television Tryouts: Tuesday

1. Mary

10/04/2012 at 8:11 am

Margo, good to see you will be taking time for your own poetry! I hope I will see some if it here!

10/04/2012 at 8:15 am

Morning, Mary! You probably won’t see any, as I am still submitting for publication and don’t like to take a chance. Google grabs posts really fast.

I have your book, by the way, and am thoroughly enjoying dipping into it.

2. Bonnee

10/04/2012 at 9:27 am

Hmm an interesting poem prompt! I’d be curious to see one that isn’t in a list form.

10/04/2012 at 9:50 am

Hi, Bonnee. The point of this particular prompt is a list poem, but it would be interesting to take the list in a different direction and see what happens. Keep an eye out. We tend to rebel against strictures, so you may well see a non-list poem.

10/04/2012 at 11:19 am

Here’s mine. Have a good few weeks writing, Margo!

4. vivinfrance

10/04/2012 at 11:24 am

Everything in a state of flux here: I’m waiting to see the cardiologue to see if I can go home tonight. I haven’t seen telly for a week, but I’ve been reading the paper. Maybe something will surface.

• Hannah Gosselin

10/04/2012 at 11:29 am

Hope you’re well and they let you go home today, Viv, thoughts for healing fully.

• Misky

10/04/2012 at 12:22 pm

Fingers crossed that you can go home, Viv.

10/04/2012 at 2:32 pm

ViV, check out Joseph’s. He based his on a single show. It doesn’t have to be the telly. How about ‘things I have learned after x days in the hospital’?

Continue to behave, please.

10/04/2012 at 11:30 am

Happy poeming to you, Margo! Thank you for your thoughtful prompts…this gives me a good reason to watch some boob-tube, it’s been weeks!! :)

6. wordsandthoughtspjs

10/04/2012 at 12:12 pm

Hi Margo, I am glad to hear you are going to take time for yourself. I am thinking of you.

10/04/2012 at 2:33 pm

Hi Pamela! I love it when you pop up because I never know when!

7. Joseph Harker

10/04/2012 at 2:29 pm

Tongue planted firmly in cheek: After Watching “Game of Thrones”

Catch you on the flipside!

10/04/2012 at 2:34 pm

Always, Joseph :-)!

• Misky

11/04/2012 at 4:29 am

This is an angle that hadn’t occured to me. Clever you.

I’m recording this series for one of my sons who’s seriously a fan. Perhaps I should start viewing it. Or reading the books…

11/04/2012 at 11:13 am

If you do, Misky, be prepared for some raw authenticity with the violence and the sex. It’s not a series I can watch. My husband watches it and says it’s very true to the books.

8. whimsygizmo

12/04/2012 at 10:03 pm

Soooo wanting to do this…making my lists, checking them twice…not enough time to watch TV, OR write about it…be back. ;)

13/04/2012 at 9:22 am

I’ll be here, de. I am so far behind stuff. Somewhere there are two poems I need to read and comment on… somewhere, in response to some prompt of mine…