Prompts R Us: Friday Freeforall

24 Feb

Hello, all. Well! Clearly you were all sitting around and waiting for a can of worms question to be tossed into the crowd. Rather than answer each comment, which would require my stopping life as I know it, for a few days, I think what makes sense is for me to synthesise the comments and report to you in a week. That does not mean you should not go and read the responses, if you have not. A couple of people have gone back to look at other responses and written further. Meanwhile, let’s set up the writing week.

We start with Donna and The Poetry Mixtape where she shares with us the Decemberist song “Red Right Ankle”. We have the lyrics to read and to listen to. I read first and, while I listened, found myself impatient to return to reading the song again [I am highly visual]. I love Meloy’s structure and am excited about trying a poem based on “Red Right Ankle”. Head over to read the lyrics and see what Donna suggests we try.

Joseph Harker’s Reveries sends us on a memento hunt and gives us a process to do so, rather than saying, find ten memories… Joseph reminds us that One of the challenges of poetry is to use your emotional/memory connection to people, places, things, concepts, etc. to articulate the reaction they summon in you — and then to summon it up in other people. Not  an easy task this writer thing. Visit Joseph to read the whole prompt.

The Music In It: Adele Kenny’s Poetry Blog, challenges us to recall times in our later lives that recalled the childlike wonder of a special “first” or “first times/first experiences”.  To find out more, visit.

This week on Poetic Bloomings we have a photograph and the title of the prompt to give us a start. To find out more and to read our hosts’ poems, head over. Hey, Marie Elena and Walt, can you believe you are bearing down on your site’s one year anniversary?!

At The Sunday Whirl, Brenda says, this week’s words were selected at random from your contributions, then I added one more for a baker’s dozen. Visit to see the wordle and to read what others have done. As always, we have a fun group of words to work with.

Carry On Tuesday gives us the opening line of Auden’s “Funeral Blues”. To read the line and for a link to read, and hear the poem in a clip from Four Weddings and a Funeral, head over.

Go to Mad Kane’s Humor Blog for her Limerick-off Mondays and a lot more besides. Go for the laugh. It’s healthy. It doesn’t much matter if you don’t want to write a limerick; reading them brightens a day. Fact. I smile as soon as I see the site next on my list.

Over at Jingle Poetry At The Gooseberry Garden the theme for one more week is the military, soldiers, veterans, or poetry dealing with physical, mental, and emotional healing. The caretakers of the Garden are taking a three-week break and suggest that we post at any time during that period. They will return refreshed, March 1st.

Visit Magpie Tales for our image prompt. This week’s image invites us to play with colour, if we wish, in addition to the possibility of story. Head over to see what we have.

Poetry Jam provides us with a prompt from Peggy, this week. She asks us to consider the opening stanza of Williams’ “The Red Wheel Barrow” as a jumping off point. Go on over to see what else she says.

For you alliterationists out there, visit ABC Wednesday. The introduction is particularly Funny this week, as we are given the story of Francine and her Frolicking.

The three words this week for Three Word Wednesday are cancel, elastic, and labor. Remember that it’s all about the three words working together. You might try writing down the first thoughts that come into your head as you read these words, before you go on to visit the site for their definitions. They have a particularly good source and I often get ideas from the definitions rather than the given words. Reading the definitions allows me to see possibilities and connections.

Over at imaginary garden with real toads we get two for one visit. Kenia offers a fascinating Wednesday Challenge which says, Write a poem that keeps a dialogue with another poem, or poet. Head to the Garden to read the rest of the prompt. We also have Mary’s Mixed Bag. Mary offers a strategy that is useful to have in the arsenal when the muse is wandering far afield.

We Write Poems stays with nature but offers a challenge to us: in your descriptive images the challenge is to use terms not the usual or obvious for that subject. Head on over to read the rest of the prompt.

At Poets United, we are asked to consider all the strings in our lives. Think about it, then for the rest of the prompt head over.

Over at dVerse, they want to introduce you to the poet you know as Blue Flute.  He has written an article for us today comparing Japanese and Chinese poetic forms and discussing how these can be adapted into English. The essay is fascinating and the challenge at the end, looks like fun. After all, we all do images, right? Now we are asked to write a connected series. Head to FormForAll to read the essay and the prompt.

Over at Patricia K. Lichen, Author her Weekend Haiku & Limericks gives us seven options, this week. One of the options offered us, is a speaking acquaintance with a tree. Visit for the other six possibilities.

The final posting is an offer for those among you who write, or are trying out, flash fiction. I love the photograph over at Flashy Fiction, and the post’s title offers one possibility for a direction in which to take the poem.

That should keep you busy and writing. If you think anyone else would enjoy these, click on the buttons below. If you have questions, ask. If you write in response to any of these, the people whose blogs you visit would love to read your responses. So, post!

Remember: If you have a topic you want me to discuss, tell me. I’ll take on just about anything and if it’s beyond me, I’ll find sources. What niggles? As you saw, this week, if we offer the right ‘niggle’ everyone comes out to play. What have you wanted to ask, or know? If you have an announcement you want posted, send it along for Your Serendipity at Thursday Thoughts.

See you Tuesday for an image prompt on place; next Thursday for a synthesis of yesterday’s comments; and Friday for the next roundup of prompts.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 24/02/2012 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 responses to “Prompts R Us: Friday Freeforall

1. Yousei Hime

24/02/2012 at 10:02 am

Since I’ve already linked my memento, I’ll throw up a link to dVerse Blue Flute challenge. These aren’t strung together, just stand alone like single flowers in a bed–tulip, daffodil, and crocus.

24/02/2012 at 11:45 am

Thanks, Yousei. I’m heading over :-)

2. viv blake

24/02/2012 at 10:03 am

Thanks Margo. I’ve been less than diligent this week in writing to prompts – having had a very busy week. But I always appreciate your reminders on Friday.

24/02/2012 at 11:44 am

You are welcome, ViV. I figured when I didn’t see you around that you had a busier than even usual week. I’m glad you stepped into yesterday’s conversation.

3. The Happy Amateur

24/02/2012 at 11:04 am

Thank you, Margo. When you get a chance, could you take a look at my ‘Google’ poem, please? I’ve posted in the Try-outs. And you are very welcome to say what you REALLY think about it (if fact, I’d appreciate it very much) :-)
    Sasha

24/02/2012 at 11:42 am

Hmmm. How did I miss that, Sasha? It has been a more frazzled week than usual, although I don’t know why. My routine hasn’t changed. Ah well. I shall head over.

• The Happy Amateur

24/02/2012 at 12:23 pm

You didn’t miss it, I was late posting this time, took advantage of your ‘you have forever to post’ line :-)

24/02/2012 at 1:00 pm

Phew! Do continue to take advantage :-)

4. markwindham

24/02/2012 at 12:40 pm

Boy, those new window links sure are nice. ;-) And woo hoo for me; actually posted a reverie. Not exactly to prompt, but Viv liked it so I am happy.

24/02/2012 at 12:59 pm

They are, aren’t they ;-) I wonder who suggested them…

Well, yay! I shall go over and read it. Because the prompt is more open, I found I couldn’t write a poem. I will be able to, but not in a week.

• markwindham

24/02/2012 at 6:34 pm

I was not real true to the prompt, but kinda, maybe, sorta close. Definitely one that a lot could be done with.

25/02/2012 at 5:38 pm

kinda, maybe, sorta, huh? Hey! I am a grandmother!!! Yes, I am excited :D

• markwindham

25/02/2012 at 7:31 pm

Congrats!!!! Very cool. Hoping I am going to be waiting a while on that one. Oldest is 20 tomorrow, no where near ready. Her or me. Enjoy, babies are great.

26/02/2012 at 8:53 am

Thank you. Feel free to hold my kids up as examples of waiting. My son is 36. My daughter, close to that. Babies are great, especially when they live in another city :-)

27/02/2012 at 11:44 am

Having a great time with these this week! Thank you, Margo!

28/02/2012 at 7:12 am

I’m so glad, Sharon. You are welcome.

• Hannah Gosselin

28/02/2012 at 9:32 am

Oh, I’m Hannah but that is a pretty name, too. Thanks Margo!

28/02/2012 at 9:37 am

Okay, that’s weird. I know you are Hannah, bless you. I wonder where my brain was. I do know I was playing catchup with comments, but still, your name was right in front of me. I wonder where Sharon’s comment is. I saw her initials, which is what I thought I was answering to. Hmmm. My response is definitely to your comment. Ah well, we who are old enough to have grandchildren are surely able to use that as an excuse :-)

And, Hannah is a particularly lovely name. The first character I played in a drama society play was Hannah so I have very fond memories.

• Hannah Gosselin

28/02/2012 at 9:45 am

That is such a nice memory to tie with this name, Margo. I have moments where I draw a complete blank on people’s names but can picture their faces clearly. Depends on the day sometimes, sounds good, we’ll stick with these! ;) Good day to you.

6. Poetic Bloomings

29/02/2012 at 9:13 am

Margo, it truly IS hard to believe that in a couple of months, we’ll be 1 year old! Your generous sharing of our site has done wonders for us. In 10 months, we’ve enjoyed much growth (275-plus “comments” on this week’s prompt, which was posted 3 days ago) and well over 35,000 all-time hits. Thank you soooo much for your part in that, Margo! Your site TOTALLY ROCKS!!

Marie Elena

29/02/2012 at 9:26 am

Why, thank you! This curating sites might be tiring, but what an adrenaline rush, too! So glad to have you and your site along for the ride :-)