We Write Poems # 85: Response

21 Dec

Window Panes

Coyote says, Read the window,
reflections are false images,
windows don’t fuss about truth –
Pause, and think about that.

(her mass is small,
her soul is ill-fitting,
a tattoo trapped in skin,
drawn lines bent to fit)

The window slams shut,
faces at the window, enigmatic;
faces large and small
high in the air, an illusion

imprinted in the window,
a feeling of disparity. Ghosts
seen only in small snatches
their faces are indistinct.

Throw yourself, not knowing
who you’ll be on the other side.
Pause, and think about that.
Pause, and think about that.

Process notes: Almost immediately on reading the prompt, I knew this was how I wanted to revisit the image, through the words of the others who wrote poems last week. I wanted to write a cento, partly because I love writing centos and partly to say thank you, not only to those who posted last week, but to all the writers in the group where I have found a place.

After the first draft, I knew I needed something that allowed for the disparity among stanzas. Thus, the title. Each stanza is a pane in a larger window, or a pane taken from different windows, as in an apartment building. I felt with that as the title, the stanzas work together.

For their lines, my humble thanks:
Neil Reid of Bearly Audible
Don Harbour of Donald Harbour Poetry
Nicole of Raven’s Wing Poetry
Barb aka Briarcat [I tried to find the blog’s name]
Joseph Harker of Naming Constellations
Elizabeth Crawford of Soul’s Music
Wayne Pitchko of Poga Poetry
annell of annellannell
Nan at Jade Page Press
ViV at Vivinfrance’s Blog
Pamela at wordsandthoughtspjs
Sharon at The Poet Treehouse
miskmask at Alphabet Soup du Jour

My apologies for the lack of links. My bookmarks are back in Atlanta. I shall add them when I return home. Meanwhile, if anyone wants to read the results of today’s prompt, or last week’s which led to it, be sure to go to We Write Poems.

Posted by on 21/12/2011 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

21 responses to “We Write Poems # 85: Response

1. vivinfrance

21/12/2011 at 11:21 am

You are such a clever girl, Margo. I really struggle with centos, and yet here you are, writing a poem perfectly coherent, culled from a hugely varied bunch of poets. Bravo.

21/12/2011 at 5:55 pm

Thank you, ViV. There are many things I struggle with, but I took to centos from the start. I am almost happier than when writing original poems.

2. wordsandthoughtspjs

21/12/2011 at 11:44 am

This is awesome, Margo. I love centos, and they are some of the most difficult to write for me. Creative, and yes, quite clever.

Happy holidays!

21/12/2011 at 5:57 pm

I could get quite lost in centos, if I am not careful. I find them too much fun, Pamela.

Happy Holidays to you, too!

3. Joseph Harker

21/12/2011 at 11:56 am

A cento – brilliant way to take on the re-prompt! You crafted it excellently.

21/12/2011 at 5:58 pm

Thank you, Joseph. Couldn’t have done it without the lines everyone had! I am glad it worked.

4. markwindham

21/12/2011 at 12:37 pm

Excellent again. Be glad you are out of Atlanta; weather here is dreary.

21/12/2011 at 5:59 pm

Don’t want to make you jealous, Mark, but the weather here is so gorgeous it is scary. And, thank you.

• markwindham

21/12/2011 at 8:25 pm

Jealous! Jealous! Jealous! But thats ok. Made a pledge when my first child was born that we would always be home for Christmas. Until the last one moves out that is still my plan.

21/12/2011 at 8:49 pm

You’re a good man, Mark! That’s how christmas should be if possible. Now my kids are grown, we all go to my moms. It’s quite a lovely thing to be part of after all our years overseas.

5. ravenswingpoetry

21/12/2011 at 3:54 pm

I adore your take on the prompt and the window this week…I think you stitched together well what we all had to say about the window. I’m honored to be one of the borrowees. Thank you, Margo.

-Nicole

21/12/2011 at 6:01 pm

Ahh…thank you, Nicole. Your comment is lovely. I’m so glad I had such wonderful borrowees.

6. nan

21/12/2011 at 10:13 pm

Wow, Margo. This is fantastic. I like the form very much and want to give the cento a try some time. I really like the repetition at the ending. I paused, and did think about it.

23/12/2011 at 7:20 pm

Thanks so much, Nan. Centos are a blast. One method I find fun is to take the first lines from several poems of my favourite poet.

7. Irene

22/12/2011 at 4:41 am

It gave me a sense of deja vu. I like that you make a cento poem, Margo. We should do more cento poems!!

23/12/2011 at 7:21 pm

I hadn’t thought of the effect of coming across one’s own line, Irene. And, I agree: more centos!

8. b_y

23/12/2011 at 3:37 pm

Neat idea, Margo. And neatly done. Centos are a struggle for me–fun, but in the way hammering pegs into the wrong hole can be– liberating.

oh, “Briarcat” is the blog, the personna, and even it’s own gmail address.

barbara

23/12/2011 at 7:23 pm

I love your description of centos for you, Barbara. I also like to use a cento to start a found poem. Then I really play.

Okay, I can do this: ‘Briarcat’ for everything.

9. S.E.Ingraham

05/01/2012 at 1:07 am

I just stumbled upon this today Margo and wanted to say how delighted I am to be part of your cento – my first ever I think … and you did such a wonderful job of weaving us together … well done

05/01/2012 at 7:36 am

Thank you, Sharon, both for your comment and for your words. I do love writing centos.