Happy Holidaying : Tuesday Tryouts

29 Nov

I know you are thinking: Margo, your brain is not awake yet. You have just finished your first cup of coffee. Why are you writing this so early? Well, I was distraught [okay, maybe a little strong, but you get the idea] when I discovered on our return from D.C. that the post I had updated and calendared to go out on Friday, didn’t, or it is floating in cyberspace somewhere…lost and lonely. My apologies for whatever happened. The fault is pretty sure to lie at my door. Perhaps in the pre-travel fugue, I didn’t push the final button.

PAD and NaNoWriMo folks, I salute you. One more day. You should feel good about yourselves whatever amount you accomplished. Anything you did is more than you had before. I picture many brains lying around in a stupor for a few days. I will, as promised, keep things simple.

Pick a holiday, any holiday.

I was so tempted to stop here, if only to imagine your reactions to a short post from me, but you know I have to give you something to play with. I have a couple of options.

After you choose your holiday, jot down everything you associate with that particular day. Write a poem about the holiday using none of those things. This is a good way of writing a fresh poem about any topic where everything associated with it becomes a cliché when written.

The second option if your brain threw its hands up in horror, is to use the holiday as a long line acrostic. The link I have given you will take you to an example, if you haven’t tried a long line acrostic before.

And that, my friends will do it. I shall see you Friday for the roundup and next Tuesday for something. Realising the whole month of December is fraught for most people, I shall continue looking for easy somethings for you to write about when escaping fraught-ness.

Do post links to your poems, whenever you write them. Or, if you are blogless, post the poem in comments. I receive great pleasure reading them, as I am sure you do reading each others.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 29/11/2011 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , ,

11 responses to “Happy Holidaying : Tuesday Tryouts

1. Hon Jiun

29/11/2011 at 8:35 am

NaNoWriMo is finally finished. I am so super happy that I actually accomplished it this year, although my plot isn’t fully finished and so I am looking forward to using my Christmas holidays to finishing it. :)

Now this post I can work with. I can make an acrostic poem about my holiday. Hope Thanksgiving was well for you. :)

HJ

29/11/2011 at 9:09 am

Finishing must give such a sense of accomplishment…and relief ;-)

You mean I get to see a poem from you? Very cool.

And Thanksgiving was lovely. We flew to DC and spent the holiday with our daughter, and my brother and his family. Gorgeous weather. Lots of tromping around looking at things, as one never runs out of things to see in that city.

Now, prepping for Christmas!

m

2. vivinfrance

29/11/2011 at 11:16 am

3. Annette @ Aspen Meadows

29/11/2011 at 6:28 pm

Here it is — http://hoofprintsinmygarden.blogspot.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-2011.html

It was very therapeutic writing this! (one of my favorite things about writing poetry).

30/11/2011 at 9:39 am

I agree, Annette. I always told my students that they could write 75% of a problem away, if not more. I shall head over for my reading therapy!

4. irene

29/11/2011 at 10:41 pm

I like this a lot, Margo.

“I shall continue looking for easy somethings for you to write about when escaping fraught-ness.”

30/11/2011 at 7:54 am

I’ll do my best, Irene. I like my word, too. Fraught-ness. There is a lot of fraught going around. Good to hear from you.

• vivinfrance

30/11/2011 at 9:55 am

and as for fraughtitude, it requires great fortitude.

5. margo roby

30/11/2011 at 9:58 am

Gorgeous, ViV. You must have had a good night’s sleep. And, yes, I did laugh aloud with delight.

6. friedensreich hundertwasser

09/01/2012 at 8:12 am

nice post!
    i cant share this link : https://margoroby.wordpress.com/2011/11/29/happy-holidaying-tuesday-tryouts
    am i doing it wrong ?

09/01/2012 at 8:24 am

Friedensreich: which share button are you clicking? I tried the twitter and it works, but before I try others I thought I would query. I also tried the link you give, in case you have another way of sharing and am able to get to the post.
      I hope we can solve this :-)