Friday Freeforall: Poetry Prompts and More Poetry Prompts

19 Aug

Hello all. I hope you have had a good week and will have a relaxing weekend. I think I have forgotten how to do this. Let’s see…

We start, as always, with Donna’s Poetry Tow Truck and an intriguing prompt that says in part: Today, we will write a poem that goes against our natures and create an evil twin. How fun does that sound?! To find out the steps, head over to the Tow Truck and check out the rest of the prompt.

We have a new entrant. Some of you have discovered dVerse, but if you haven’t, take a look. This is a new site that promises to be an exciting part of our lives. This week we are asked to tackle a big theme. To get to the prompt, you can go to the end of the article and find it, or read the article and come to it naturally.

Poetic Bloomings‘ prompt starts with: There is always a lyric from a song that stays with you. Visit the site to read the rest of the prompt and the poems by the hosts in response. And, the site has moved, if you have it bookmarked.

The next site is The Sunday Whirl. Visit to see Brenda’s wordle and to read up on how it works, if you wish to post responses. Otherwise, enjoy a weekly wordle and be sure to go over to see what others have done. Brenda has moved over to WordPress, if any of you have her site bookmarked.

Over at The Found Poetry Review they ask us to write about SPAM (food or electronic). For more on the prompt, and for links to help, visit. All you spam eaters, I know you’re out there — pan-fried spam and eggs and toast, yum!

An eye for an eye will make the whole world go blind. Words of Gandhi. For more of his sayings, head over to Carry on Tuesday.

Sunday Scribblings’ prompt is: forward. You might look up the root word which offers more possibilities than what we tend to associate with the word. And One Single Impression offers silence which has so many possibilities on so many levels, I could spend months on the word.

At Scribble & Scatter’s ‘Sunday Snaps’ Susan May James is on holiday. She will be back in early September.

Whether you like to read them or want to try writing one, this site is the place to play with limericks. I enjoy the whole site more every week and find myself wandering around reading and grinning at the clever limericks. Go to Mad Kane’s Humor Blog for her Limerick-off Mondays and a lot more besides.

Everyone seems to be moving. Jingle Poetry has incorporated itself into its sister site The Gooseberry Garden. I have to admit I shall miss the name Jingle.  The theme for this week is Passionate Nights of Love. And looking towards next week, we will have Adam and Eve — that could be fun.

Visit Magpie Tales for our image prompt. This week they have painting equipment, as in painting walls. As with any image, you can be literal about what you see, or head into the metaphorical.

For you alliterists out there, here is ABC Wednesdays letter for this week: Here @ ABC Wednesday we always try to ENCOURAGE our happy contributors each week……do you have an idea for an introduction? Exactly, the letter E. And, it looks like ABC is giving us the opportunity to play with and add to the wonderful introductions they have. Haven’t you wanted to try to write an alliterative piece where you can go whole hog?

The three words this week for Three Word Wednesday are gasp, mute, and viable. As always, visit them for their definitions. They have a particularly good source and I often get ideas from the definitions rather than the given word.

We Write Poems has a prompt from me this week! In part it says: To write thirteen different views of the same item will require looking closely, turning the thing around, upside down, micro, macro, and way out of the box. The key is the object you pick and writing down every single association you can think of. Okay, enough groaning. I have to come up with a second one.

Poets United asks us Now I know my ABCs what type of poem will you share with me? The prompt, if taken literally, is not that easy but promises to be rewarding play. They always have more to help us choose possible paths, so go over and read the rest of the prompt and view the photographs.

Scribble & Scatter’s ‘Alpha to Omega Thursdays‘ gives us: Theta. While Susan is on vacation, if you are doing this challenge and have fallen behind, or want to check it out, this is the latest letter. Susan writes flash fiction with the two words she chooses for each letter, but there is no reason you can’t use the words for a poem. Head over to read the origins of the two words and the Greek letter with which they start.

And here is Mr Knowitall’s Friday Flash 55. If you aren’t sure what this is about go over and read a few examples. It’s quite a challenge.

For you lovers of the say it in as few words as possible, here is Haiku Friday.

And, finally, stop by and add your voice to Elizabeth Crawford’s discussion site Writers Speak where she asks writers of all genres to stop by and talk about the life of a writer. She will post new topics every week around Friday. This week’s topic asks us how we feel about the comments we receive in our blog posts. We should all have something to say about this topic, so if you haven’t gone over, go, before Elizabeth changes the topic! Even then, there is no reason you can’t contribute to a past discussion.

That should keep you busy and writing. If you think anyone else would enjoy these, click on the buttons below. If you have questions ask. If you write in response to any of these, both the people whose blogs you visit and I would love to read your responses. So, post! And, remember: if you have a topic you want me to discuss, tell me. I’ll take on just about anything and if it’s beyond me, I’ll find sources.

I shall see you Tuesday for an open prompt, Thursday I am off [unless I have shaken the tiredness], and next Friday for more of the same. Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 19/08/2011 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 responses to “Friday Freeforall: Poetry Prompts and More Poetry Prompts

1. Poetic Bloomings

19/08/2011 at 9:47 am

Thanks a ton for the plug, Margo!! Great site you have here!

Marie Elena

19/08/2011 at 10:01 am

My pleasure, Marie Elena. You and Walt have a regular place in my roundup.

2. Jingle Poetry

19/08/2011 at 9:47 am

Thanks a lot for the update to our site,

what a thoughtful soul,

Jingle spirits is in new site, with new enthusiasm in it.

Cheers.

take good care.

19/08/2011 at 10:02 am

Jingle people give so much pleasure to our lives. I’ll make sure not to lose you.

3. Jingle Poetry

19/08/2011 at 9:49 am

check out bluebell books prompt,

short story slam at htt://bluebellbooks.blogspot.com/

you may be interested in how similar it is to magpie tale prompt.

4. Jingle Poetry

19/08/2011 at 9:49 am

oops,

here you go, bless your day.

19/08/2011 at 10:04 am

Thank you for the link. I shall go investigate now! Will you be removing jingle from your email or will we still get that rush of happiness the word jingle brings?

5. Claudia

19/08/2011 at 10:28 am

hey margo – nice to meet you and thanks for mentioning dVerse in your post

19/08/2011 at 10:32 am

You are welcome, Claudia. You have a great site and I plan to walk through more slowly this weekend. I’ll keep pointing people your way.

6. Joseph Harker

19/08/2011 at 12:01 pm

Thanks for pointing out dVerse, I hadn’t known about them… might add them to my list of weeklies as well. :)

22/08/2011 at 10:14 am

They look like a great site, Joseph. Even new they seem to have their act together.

7. Heaven

19/08/2011 at 1:45 pm

So many prompts for the soul… thanks so much for mentioning all the wonderful communities here.

22/08/2011 at 10:13 am

Hello Heaven! I enjoy finding and then promoting these communities. And, it’s fun to run across each other in the same places.

8. Rene

19/08/2011 at 8:03 pm

I always know right where to come for the greatest gathering of prompts and poets. Thank you Margo!

22/08/2011 at 10:11 am

Thank you, Rene! Always my pleasure.

9. Teri

22/08/2011 at 11:41 pm

Wow that is a lot of prompts! Hope you figured out your phone… :-)

23/08/2011 at 10:07 am

It is isn’t it, Teri? I keep meaning to trim a couple but there are some I put in because I know people like the places, and some I put in because I like the places, and some are really good prompts, so I keep adding instead of subtracting! :-)

10. Teri

23/08/2011 at 10:11 am

I feel that way about many things in my life right now… do you have a prompt that could help me add more hours to a day? xo

23/08/2011 at 10:25 am

Hi! I don’t remember if I specified reply for the last comment but this will tell you to look if I didn’t :-)

11. margo roby

23/08/2011 at 10:24 am

Sure :-) Oh you did set yourself up, Teri. Just do all the prompts. That adds more hours to your waking day but fewer to your sleeping day.

However, that is an issue I have been fighting and is part of what took me off the computer for a while. I looked at everything I do in a day and ranked them from most important to me, to least important. Then I became ruthless. Facebook went. At some point I will have to find a way to let it back in as that is how many people contact me, but for now, it’s out. I also make myself take breaks [not necessarily to rest] from what I am doing and do something else [which might include resting].

Ruthless!