Poem in Response to We Write Poems # 60

an opossum;

in the bayous
half-drowned trees
lift broken limbs,
like Excalibur,
from watery depths.

This week we were asked to take our close observations further afield. I carry a notebook in the car whenever we go anywhere and this was something I noticed on a drive through East Texas. Thank you to We Write Poems and Pamela for both “observe more closely” prompts. Be sure and visit We Write Poems to read what others observed.

I would like to mention a new gathering place for writers of all genres. Elizabeth Crawford, whom many of you know, has started a blog devoted to topics concerning writers and the writing life. You can find it at Writers Speak. If you have a moment drop in and read her first post and first topic.

I shall see you tomorrow for an enjambment session; Friday for the week’s roundup of prompts and exercises; and next Tuesday for another open prompt.

Happy reading and writing, all.

Posted by on 29/06/2011 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

12 responses to “Poem in Response to We Write Poems # 60

1. nan

29/06/2011 at 12:55 pm

This is a powerful, thoughtful piece of writing. Well done!

2. margo roby

29/06/2011 at 12:59 pm

Thank you, Nan!

3. wordsandthoughtspjs

29/06/2011 at 1:12 pm

Margo, I felt like I was right there in the car with you. Powerful poem on observation. Funny, I wrote mine from the same vantage point.

29/06/2011 at 7:06 pm

I love being a passenger, Pamela. I notice so much.

4. wayne

29/06/2011 at 6:06 pm

nice one Margo….thanks for sharing your powerful words

5. margo roby

29/06/2011 at 7:11 pm

Thank you, Wayne. I just returned from your place and I love this week’s poem and its link to your previous poem.

6. 1sojournal

29/06/2011 at 8:16 pm

Margo, love your poem of seemingly accidental connections, each different, but all connected by the eyes and mind of the observer. And thanks for the mention here of the discussion experiment.

Elizabeth

7. margo roby

29/06/2011 at 8:34 pm

Thank you, Elizabeth. I do love the way the brain works [sometimes].

I figure I’ll keep mentioning the discussion until I see a healthy amount of people over there. Purely selfish on my part. One needs people to discuss. I’m coming over as soon as I shake my jetlag.

8. Tilly Bud

30/06/2011 at 4:35 am

Love the way the stanzas are linked by a common theme.

9. margo roby

30/06/2011 at 10:16 am

Thank you, Tilly Bud, and those three things all happened within a few miles.

10. brenda w

30/06/2011 at 6:04 pm

I prefer the passenger seat…you take road trip to a new level. :)

11. margo roby

30/06/2011 at 7:11 pm

:) Your comments always make me grin, Brenda. Don’t know what I did before our paths crossed and am glad they now cross frequently!