Friday Freeforall: Roundup Time

13 May

Good day everyone. I don’t know about you, but it has been a particularly tiring week. I’m beginning to think that retired means just that: tired again. Let’s see if we can find some poetry exercises to rejuvenate us.

One piece of sad news from our perspective: The three wonderful ladies who kept the Big Tent going have folded the tent and are no more. They are hoping to focus their efforts on their own work, but collaboratively. We shall miss the circus, but wish them all our best.

We start with The Poetry Tow Truck. Remember that if you like the prompt and want to post a poem in response that you have to be quick about this one, because a new prompt goes up tomorrow. Donna says: We are surrounded by signs everyday, signs that tell us how and when to drive, signs that tell us what and where to consume, and signs that tell us how and what to think.
Head on over to the Tow Truck to find out what Donna would like us to do, to watch a slide show of signs, and to read Donna’s fun poem with some signs she has come across. I listed all the signs from here to Washington D.C. along Highway 85, so I am in good shape for this one.

I’m smiling because the Island is back after being off for April, and I do love to visit the Island. Writer’s Island ends their prompt with : And remember, season can have meanings beyond that of the cyclical calendar periods. Visit the Island to read the first part of the prompt and to see the gorgeous graphic they are using.

Next we have Carry on Tuesday with  the beginning of the poem “Phillida and Coridon” by Nicholas Breton. Visit Carry on Tuesday to read the lines which have to do with the month of May and to link to the whole poem, if you wish to read it.

One single word site this week: Sunday Scribblings which offers us May. Everyone seems a little May mad this month.

And, the first of our image prompts can be found over at Scribble & Scatter. Susan May James has a lovely landscape and a closeup for us to work with. Remember that Susan offers a chance to submit any poems, to accompany the photos in a book that will come out at the end of the year. Head for her site to see the images and read more about the book.

The Big Tent has one final prompt for us and it is, of course, fun. The prompt starts : Look over your recently written poem pile with the idea that giving is both noble & fruitful. Find a line or two from a poem and hand them over to the Big Tent community. Doesn’t that make you want to race over and see what next? I’m going as soon as I leave you all.

And we have Jingle Poetry with Color, Spring and Rainbow with an accompanying video and if you like a look ahead, next week will be Fortresses, Castles, Palaces and Royal Houses . Visit their Poetry Potluck to watch the inspirational videos that always accompany their prompts.

Poets & Writers is in this week with Choose a sentence from a newspaper whose meaning gets larger and stranger when taken out of context. Use it as the first line of a poem. Head over to them to read the rest of the prompt. This kind of prompt can work well as a spur.

Visit Magpie Tales to see the sculpture they have chosen. It could lead to a portrait poem or a story. For those unused to using images, try looking at the picture and without thinking, or making judgments, jot down every single thing you see. Then leave the picture and look at your notes and fill in what isn’t there.

For those who participated in the A to Z challenge and are missing your alphabet, or those who didn’t participate but enjoy this site, visit ABC Wednesday, even if it’s just to read their alliterative intro. Here is part of it: As swift as QUICKSILVER, no QUESTION about it, the week has turned, so QED, it’s time to QUEST for the letter Q.

I love the combination of words over at Three Word Wednesday this week: brandish, forbid and manage. You will need to visit them for the definitions because they use a particularly good dictionary and I find that often takes the prompt in unusual directions.

The prompt for We Write Poems takes a different direction this week. We are told This time we’d like you to be the source and seed for a poem writing prompt. Head over to find out where this one is going.

That’s it for this week. Now get out there and write. If you know anyone who would enjoy these, click on the buttons below.

Have a wonderful weekend. I shall see you Tuesday when we will learn to cascade. Next Thursday, I will be back to words to avoid. Gird yourselves. And, we all know what happens on Fridays.

Happy writing everyone.

Posted by on 13/05/2011 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 responses to “Friday Freeforall: Roundup Time

1. anjum wasim dar

13/05/2011 at 4:53 pm

What is it that makes me click back to this page
    is it a need for a word or a need for a read
    or is it the warmth of language and the
    attitude of the …author…it surely is the welcoming
    color, the richness of vocabulary, the variety of prompts
    the attraction of writing exercises and the satisfaction of achievement as a learner-hmn I am thinking…
    there is something else…

2. margo roby

13/05/2011 at 4:58 pm

You do know how to make me smile, Anjum.

3. anjum wasim dar

13/05/2011 at 5:26 pm

It makes me happy if I am able to make someone else-smile and be happy too-You give me support at a very strange time of my life-
    tomorrow I have to collect my passport from the Immigration office -These hours I spend sharing thoughts with you-belonging to different cultures and faith yet we have so much to share-I feel good with you

4. margo roby

13/05/2011 at 5:31 pm

And I with you, Anjum. And I have always believed that everything is meant to happen.

5. anjum wasim dar

13/05/2011 at 6:37 pm

Great M-
    Oh Dear I just realized how much of a Gemini I really am I am enjoying this lovely exchange of thoughts and feelings on two different sites…here and on Facebook
    Ma’am ..! I get double the share of such wonderful company…I read somewhere that Geminis are experts at sales-they can sell an icebox to an eskimo… , actually I am revising my CV too and its almost done so I think I will say -Good Night now Take care and have a great weekend.

6. anjum wasim dar

16/05/2011 at 4:27 am

who is it
    that calls me
    that keeps me awake all night
    who is it?
    why do I feel that He laughs by Himself
    sometimes cries and makes others cry
    when my tears are dry
    who is it?
    that takes my name
    when for years I have been alone
    who calls me ?
    there lives a snake in every Eden
    me a sinner-
    who warns me?
    time clicks away
    time is still, time waits for no one
    who tells me?
    I do not remember myself
    who remembers me
    who is it
    that reminds me.
    who is it?

7. margo roby

16/05/2011 at 7:55 am

I like this Anjum: a list poem. And I enjoy finding the poem in the comments!

8. anjum wasim dar

16/05/2011 at 4:22 pm

I enjoy writing to you and for you—–

9. anjum wasim dar

16/05/2011 at 6:36 pm

Margo I sent a message and wrote a poem for Scribble & Scatter –
    some more lines:
    I think Im beginning to think a little more
    than usual of someone, something not casual
    staring at the blank box , looking for words
    sound of the fast rotating fan disturbing the matter
    making the shoulders heavy-silence continuously
    breaking as thoughts scatter , keyboard fades away
    from sight and long before I realize I am shaken by the chirping of the birds…dawn breaks away the darkness
    thoughts of someone linger…

10. margo roby

16/05/2011 at 7:10 pm

I like this, all the movement and sound. You pop up in so many places, I feel like I am chasing after you to keep up :)

11. anjum wasim dar

17/05/2011 at 1:10 am

a typical Gemini and one of the computer Pop-ups!

12. anjum wasim dar

22/05/2011 at 5:47 am

M GEMINI will not pop up anymore-no more blogs no poems no comments no…writing my way home…no words……………………………with the twins in the skies….all my writing power ….seems to have…

22/05/2011 at 7:45 am

Anjum, the twins may be on vacation, but they will never leave. I suspect they have gone somewhere less hot! The words do come back. For nor rest, relax, focus on the teaching element of your life. That requires energy and maybe your brain does not want the energy split right now.

• anjum wasim dar

22/05/2011 at 9:45 am

Margo you have a highly motivating repertoire of words-using vocabulary like’brain’ suspect’ element ‘ focus’ and ‘split’ are inspiring , deep enough perhaps for someone like me -I guess I need motivation these days-
        and if I count them they are =5
        my lucky number (the books say) is 5
        brain
        suspect
        element
        focus
        split
        see they describe my state perfectly